The FDA announced a recall of two lots of Dual Luer Lock Caps (Product Code 2C6250, Lots 10043 and 10044) because of the presence of loose particulate matter found in the packaging. For details see http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm369253.htm.
We’ve been adding to the Network web page on our Learning and Action Network for improving
- Patient Engagement,
- Patient Centeredness of Care, and
- Patient Education and Orientation
including a delightful little booklet for patients on How Can I Get Involved in My Care? that you can download at http://www.nwrenalnetwork.org/QI/LAN/GetInvolved.pdf. Find our Learning and Action Network page at http://www.nwrenalnetwork.org/QI/LAN/LAN.htm.
Our October 3 and October 10 online seminars for Northwest Renal Network staff on Staff and Patient Safety and on Proactivity: Anticipating and Resolving Volatile Situations were introduced at https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/handling-difficult-situations-webinars-oct-3-and-10/. We’ve now added instructions and evaluation forms for obtaining social worker continuing education credit, for both webinars. See
- Oct 3 Instructions: http://www.nwrenalnetwork.org/N/100313CECredit.pdf
- Oct 3 Evaluation Form: http://www.nwrenalnetwork.org/N/100313Eval2.pdf
CDC has announced three new tools for prevention of dialysis infections:
- A training video for facility staff on “Preventing Bloodstream Infections in Outpatient Hemodialysis Patients: Best Practices for Dialysis Staff” – on YouTube and DVD
- A poster of reminders for staff lounges and treatment floor called “Put Together the Pieces to Prevent Infections in Dialysis Patients” – PDF and print copy
- A pocket guide for patients on “6 Tips to Prevent Dialysis Infections” – PDF and print copy
Find details, links, and ordering information at http://www.cdc.gov/dialysis/prevention-tools/training-video.html.
The Renal Support Network has announced their 200th audio podcast, this one on “Laugh and Sing Your Pain Away.” Listen at http://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk-podcast/show-index/laugh-and-sing-your-pain-away/. See http://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk-podcast/ for an index to the other 199 shows.
NKF has announced a “Save-the-Date” notice for the NKF 2014 Spring Clinical Meetings, in Las Vegas NV April 22-26, 2014. They’ve included a general outline of topics for each of the five professional tracks at http://www.kidney.org/news/meetings/clinical/program/index.cfm. The deadline for abstract sumission is December 2, 2013. For updates as they become available, watch for new bulletins on http://www.kidney.org/news/meetings/clinical/index.cfm.
Some of the long links in some posts in this blog do not wrap from one line to the next, and may overwrite the menus on the right side of the screen. If this ever creates a problem, such as not being able to read a link, or not being able to access a menu item, shrinking the text size (usually <Ctrl><->, ie hitting the Minus or Dash/Hyphen key while depressing the Ctrl key) will alleviate the problem.