CMS has finalized a rule (79 FR 66189) to exempt dialysis facilities from all ESRD QIP requirements during the time that the facility was forced to close temporarily due to a natural disaster or other extraordinary circumstances beyond the facility’s control.
To request an CMS Disaster Extension/Exception Request Form (“ECE”) for a closure that occurred during 2015, facilities must submit their request to receive an ECE Form via email to ESRDQIP@cms.hhs.org , and file the ECE through http://www.qualitynet.org , no later than April 15, 2016.
The facility email request to ESRDQIP@cms.hhs.org must contain all of the following information:
- Facility CCN and Name
- CEO name and contact information
- Additional contact name and contact information
- Reason for requesting an exception
- Dates affected
- Date facility will start (or started) submitting data again, with justification for this date
- Evidence of the impact of the extraordinary circumstances, including but not limited to photographs and newspaper or other media coverage
For emergency closures caused by a natural disaster or other extraordinary circumstances beyond the facility’s control during 2016 and beyond, ESRD facilities must request an ECE from ESRDQIP@cms.hhs.org via email, and file it through http://www.qualitynet.org , within 90 days after the end of the emergency event.