The HHS Office for Civil Rights and the National Institute for Standards and Technology will co-host a conference October 19-20, 2016 in Washington DC on Safeguarding Health Information: Building Assurance through HIPAA Security. Register at https://www2.nist.gov/news-events/events/2016/10/safeguarding-health-information-building-assurance-through-hipaa-security by October 12, 2016.
The Renal Support Network will present a Patient Education Meeting in Glendale CA on September 18, 2016. The Meeting is free to patients and t0 one guest per patient attendee; the recommended donation for a healthcare professional attendee is $35. The agenda includes brunch, raffles, an inspirational talk by a transplant recipient, and sessions on high blood pressure, how dialysis works, and nutrition.
For details and registration see http://www.rsnhope.org/meetingssupport-group/ . The web page also provides links to
- A video recap of the 2014 RSN Patient Education Meeting in Glendale
- A video of the RSN 2012 Patient Lifestyle Workshop
- Information on an RSN Support Group meeting in Glendale on September 25, 2016
- Information on the HOPEline Peer Support Phone Line and Facebook page
The Arbor Research Collaborative for Health will present a webinar September 15, 2016 on trends in hemodialysis shown by their DOPPS Practice Monitor surveys. The webinar will emphasize anemia management and intradialytic weight loss. For more information and registration, see http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1106091886730&ca=1836217f-032c-488e-b4bd-000c397fcdbd .
September 2016 patient support meetings in southern California are listed by date below. For details on the meeting, location, and who to call for more information, see http://www.esrdnetwork18.org/patients/support-groups/ . Meetings are sorted by County on this web page, so we’ve added the County name after each city. We abbreviate support group as “SG.”
- September 1, Apple Valley (San Bernardino), Caring for the Caregiver SG
- September 3, San Luis Obispo (SLO), Central Coast Kidney Foundation
- September 6, Loma Linda (San Bernardino), Kidney/Pancreas SG, in English
- September 7, La Jolla (San Diego), Scripps Liver/Kidney SG
- September 9, Loma Linda, in Spanish (San Bernardino) Kidney/Pancreas SG
- September 10:
- Lake Forest (Orange), Saddleback Church Kidney SG
- Riverside (Riverside), Kaiser Riverside PD SG
- September 11, Culver City (LA), Westside Kidney SG
- September 13:
- Orange (Orange), UCI Kidney Transplant SG
- Victorville (San Bernardino), Dialysis SG
- September 14, Visalia (Tulare), Valley Renal SG
- September 18, Glendale (LA), Renal Support Network Patient Education Meeting; see http://www.rsnhope.org/meetingssupport-group/ for details
- September 20, Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara), SG for Organ Transplant Patients
- September 22, Santa Maria (Santa Barbara), Dialysis Patient SG
- September 25, Glendale (LA), Renal Support Network
- September 27, Victorville (San Bernardino), Dialysis SG
Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) has updated their Clinical Practice Guideline on the Diagnosis, Evaluation, Prevention and Treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD), and requests public comment by September 23, 2016. The draft revised Guideline, backup data, and comment form can be found at http://kdigo.org/home/guidelines/ckdmbdupdate/ .
CMS has provided clarification on the October 1, 2016 end of the one-year “trial period” for ICD-10. During the “trial period,” approximate (for instance, three digits instead of five) codes are not being audited. After October 1, 2016, all codes submitted must be fully specified. Details are provided at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/Clarifying-Questions-and-Answers-Related-to-the-July-6-2015-CMS-AMA-Joint-Announcement.pdf . More information on ICD-10 can be found at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/ICD10/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html .
We’ve placed the September 2016 issue of Network Consumer News, the Northwest Renal Network patient newsletter, on the Network 16 website at https://nwrn.org/patients-a-family/ptedres/ncn.html . This issue covers access to care, involuntary discharge, and Network 16’s grievance process. This month we’ve included a Spanish edition, a large-print version, a feedback form, and a flyer about the September 23-25, 2016 AAKP National Patient Meeting in Nashville.
For more information on the following details about the AAKP Meeting, see https://www.aakp.org/images/downloads/AAKP_ConvBroch_2016_online.pdf
- AAKP is partnering with the Living Kidney Donor Network to present a free September 22, 2016 workshop on Having Your Donor Find You
- To arrange for dialysis while in Nashville, schedule it by August 31, 2016
- To receive conference rates at the AAKP Meeting hotel, you must reserve your accommodations by August 31, 2016
- To receive discounted airfare from Southwest Airlines, make reservations by September 7, 2016
- Continuing Education credits are available for RNs, MSWs, and RDs