November 2016 Patient Support Group Meetings in southern California include:
- 11/1 Loma Linda (San Bernardino County), Kidney/Pancreas Support Group, in English
- 11/2 La Jolla (San Diego County), Scripps Liver/Kidney Support Group, in English
- 11/9 Visalia (Tulare County), Valley Renal Support Group, in English and Spanish
- 11/11 Loma Linda (San Bernardino County) Kidney/Pancreas Support Group, in Spanish
- 11/12 Lake Forest (Orange County), Saddleback Church Kidney Support Group, in English
- 11/13 Playa Vista (LA County), Westside Kidney Support Group, in English and Spanish
- 11/19 Panorama City, Santa Clarita, and San Fernando (all Los Angeles County), Kidneys Quest Foundation, in English and Spanish
- 11/27 Glendale (LA County), Renal Support Network, in English
- 11/28 Lake Forest (Orange County), Saddleback Church Kidney Support Group, in English
For details on the meeting, location, and who to call for more information, see http://www.esrdnetwork18.org/patients/support-groups/ . Note that meetings are sorted by County on this web page.
For patient educational meetings, see the Patient Calendar link at the top of this page.
The October issue of Network 16 News has been posted to the Northwest Renal Network website. The front-page article covers the essentials of Pneumonia Vaccines – why, which ones, when. The “Question Corner” concerns patient and family engagement in their care, and the “Hot Dates” section highlights the November 9, 2016 free CE webinar on Patient and Provider Engagement. You can find a copy of the October issue at https://nwrn.org/providers-and-professional-staff/nw16n.html
CMS has published changes to DFC, detailed at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-10-28.html . ICH-CAHPS, Standardized BSI Ratio (SIR), and Pediatric PD Kt/V have been added to DFC, but not to the Star Ratings. Changes have been made to the way the Star Ratings are calculated, and adjustments have been made to the way the Vascular Access, Kt/V, Standardized Readmission Ratio (SRR), and Hypercalcemia components of the Star Ratings are measured. All of these changes are included in the DFC update made October 28, 2016.
CMS has published the final version of the QIP for CY2017 and PY2019-20, summarized at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-10-28-2.html . Major changes include:
- Changes for CY2017 include adjustments to the Outlier Policy, Home/Self-Dialysis Training Add-On Payment, and Acute Kidney Injury provisions.
- PY2019 will see two NHSN measures – DE reporting and BSI clinical – combined into a new Patient Safety Domain, and substantive changes to the Hypercalcemia clinical measure.
- For PY2020, the Standardized Hospitalization Rate clinical measure and Ultrafiltration Rate reporting measure will be added, and the Mineral Metabolism reporting measure will be replaced by a reporting measure for Serum Phosphorus.
On November 15, 2016 CMS will hold a conference call on the MACRA Quality Payment Program. The call will be held at 10:30 am PST. Register at https://blh.ier.intercall.com/details/59b4789fbb3843bb8884c94e085ef128 .
On November 15, 2016 AAKP HealthLine will present a webinar on enjoying holiday food without leaving your dietary plan, called Keep It Kidney-Friendly: Nutrition Advice on Surviving the Holiday Season, with kidney patient and excellent chef Duane Sunwold. For more information and registration, see https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6579172294418105090 .
On November 14, 2016, CMS will present a webinar on new resources developed under the CMS Equity Plan for Improving Quality in Medicare, often referred to as Reducing Disparities in Healthcare. The webinar will cover tools to help you better collect and analyze your data, and programs and initiatives across CMS that have the potential to promote equality of care for all beneficiaries. Find more information on the webinar, and register, at https://www.conferenceplus.com/confcenter/PinCode/Pin_Code.aspx?100722&o=UyLrHIuSeCeSxX . For information on the CMS Equity Plan, see https://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/OMH/equity-initiatives/equity-plan.html .