December 2016 Patient Support Group Meetings in southern California include:
- 12/6 Loma Linda (San Bernardino County), Kidney/Pancreas Support Group, in English
- 12/7 La Jolla (San Diego County), Scripps Liver/Kidney Support Group, in English
- 12/9 Loma Linda (San Bernardino County) Kidney/Pancreas Support Group, in Spanish
- 12/10 Lake Forest (Orange County), Saddleback Church Kidney Support Group, in English
- 12/11 Playa Vista (LA County), Westside Kidney Support Group, in English and Spanish
- 12/14 Visalia (Tulare County), Valley Renal Support Group, in English and Spanish
- 12/17 Panorama City and Santa Clarita (Los Angeles County), Kidneys Quest Foundation, in English and Spanish
- 12/21 San Fernando (Los Angeles County), Kidneys Quest Foundation, in English and Spanish
- 12/24 Santa Clarita (Los Angeles County), Kidneys Quest Foundation, in English and Spanish
- 12/25 Glendale (LA County), Renal Support Network, in English
- 12/26 Lake Forest (Orange County), Saddleback Church Kidney Support Group, in English
For details on the meeting, location, and who to call for more information, see http://www.esrdnetwork18.org/patients/support-groups/ . Meetings are listed by County on this web page.
For patient educational meetings, see the Patient Calendar link at the top of this page.
CROWNWeb will present an online New User Training for Version 5.0 on December 6, 2016. Find details and register at http://mycrownweb.org/pcw_lems/crownweb-new-user-training-dec/ .
CMS has published a list of quality and efficiency Measures that are under consideration for future rule-making as of December 1, 2016. ESRD Measures on the list include Standardized Transfusion Ratio, Standardized Fistula Rate, and Standardized Long-Term Catheter Rate. The list includes suggested specifications, exclusions, and rationales. Find the list at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/QualityMeasures/Downloads/Measures-under-Consideration-List-for-2016.pdf . Discussion of ESRD measures is found on pages 211, 39, 90-92, and 165-170.
We’ve added the November Monthly Patient Bulletin to the Network 16 website. This issue is all about selecting a facility for dialysis, with an emphasis on Medicare’s Dialysis Facility Compare website, https://www.medicare.gov/dialysisfacilitycompare/ . If you haven’t gotten a copy of the Monthly Patient Bulletin, you can find one at https://www.nwrn.org/patients-a-family/ptedres/mon.html .
CMS has added to its website a video from the October 5, 2016 National Provider Call on the new Emergency Preparedness Requirements Final Rule. The Rule was effective as of November 15, 2016, but facilities will not be surveyed on the new Requirements until November 15, 2017, to give everyone time to implement the Requirements. Information about the Rule and the Call, and all supplementary materials from the Call, can be found at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/NPC/National-Provider-Calls-and-Events-Items/2016-10-05-Emergency-Preparedness.html .
The November issue of the Northwest Renal Network’s provider newsletter, Network 16 News, is all about eating at other people’s houses during the holidays without disrupting your dialysis routine. Find a copy at https://www.nwrn.org/providers-and-professional-staff/nw16n.html . The National Kidney Foundation has a different list of tips for holiday eating – both lists are very useful – which you can find at https://www.kidney.org/content/tips-happy-healthy-holidays-dialysis-diet .
The November Network 16 News also includes an Announcement on the Network’s 2017 Quality Improvement Activities, a Question Corner on protected health information, and Hot Dates for the NWRN Annual Conference in Seattle March 2-3, 2017, and the NKF Spring Clinical Meetings in Orlando FL April 18-22, 2017. Get the latest information on these and other professional and staff education meetings from the Facility Calendar in the menu bar at the top of this page.
The Chronic Kidney Disease Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study, commonly known as CKDopps, is inviting US dialysis clinics to voluntarily participate in its program. For information on the benefits and expectations of participation, see http://www.dopps.org/ProgramHome/NewsPress/CKDoppsEnrollingintheUS.aspx .