The Jenny Kitsen Patient Safety Award funds an annual lecture or presentation that will advance patient safety by exploring innovation in health systems management. The award was created in 2014 by the former Network of New England whose Board of Directors established an endowment to continue the patient safety work of the non-profit organization led by Jenny Kitsen. Among the organizations eligible to apply for the Jenny Kitsen Patient Safety Award are 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(6) organizations, public and government agencies, and many other organizations and institutions. AAKP is now accepting applications for the next grant cycle. The deadline for grant applications for the 2018 calendar year is July 31, 2017. For details about application and past awardees, see http://aakp.org/jenny-kitsen-safety-award/ .
The May 2017 Northwest Renal Network Patient Bulletin or Monthly Patient Flyer, titled “Dialysis News,” is about current and future advances in dialysis technology, including the wireless Outset Medical Tabio HD System that is designed for ease of use and remote monitoring, the web-based Baxter AMIA PD Cycler also designed for remote monitoring, and the implantable bioartificial kidneys being developed at the University of California, San Francisco and at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
The issue also includes a note about the free online My Life, My Dialysis Choice decision aid from MEI.
Find the NWRN Monthly Patient Flyers at https://www.nwrn.org/patients-a-family/ptedres/mon.html .
Medicare has published a Dialysis Facility Compare Social Media Toolkit brochure in three versions (for patients or consumers, for dialysis facilities, and for physicians) and two languages (English and Spanish). They provide graphic and text suggestions for sharing and promoting DFC on social media. Find copies of them at:
- DFC Consumer Social Media Toolkit: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Eng.DFCToolkit.Pts.pdf
- Herramientas de Redes Sociales para el Consumidor sobre la Comparación de Centros de Diálisis: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Esp.DFCToolkit.Pts.pdf
- DFC Social Media Toolkit for Dialysis Centers: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Eng.DFCToolkit.Facs.pdf
- Herramientas de Redes Sociales para los Centros de Diálisis sobre la Comparación de Centros de Diálisis: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Esp.DFCToolkit.Facs.pdf
- DFC Social Media Toolkit for Physicians: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Eng.DFC.Toolkit.Docs.pdf
- Herramientas de Redes Sociales para los Médicos sobre la Comparación de Centros de Diálisis: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Esp.DFCToolkit.Docs.pdf
Abstracts for the October 31-November 5, 2017 ASN Kidney Week in New Orleans must be submitted by June 8, 2017. For Kidney Week details see https://www.asn-online.org/education/kidneyweek/2017/cfa.aspx , and for abstract submission see https://www.asn-online.org/education/kidneyweek/2017/abstract-login.aspx .
The UCLA UKEEP Kidney Education program has released its summer 2017 schedule. Sunday programs include:
- June 11, 2107 – Kidneys in Health and Disease: What You Should Know
- July 16, 2017 – Polycystic Kidney Disease
- August 13, 2017 – Kidney Transplant
- September 17, 2017 – Dialysis
RSVP is requested; for details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKeep17.pdf .
The May issue of Network 16 News is titled What to Know about HIPAA, and it includes a list of the 18 patient identifiers that, when any one or more of which are present, create Personally Identifiable information that must be protected according to HIPAA rules.
The “Question Corner” this month is about the most common patient concerns. The “Hot Dates” section lists the October 22, 2017 Network 16 Annual Quality Conference in Tukwila WA (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2017/05/04/nw-101-nw16-quality-conference/ ), and the September 23-25, 2017 ANNA Management & Leadership Conference sin Miami FL (see https://www.annanurse.org/events/nephrology-nursing-practice-management-leadership-conference ).
Find Network 16 News at https://www.nwrn.org/providers-and-professional-staff/nw16n.html .
CMS has released resources from its April 27, 2017 Emergency Preparedness Requirements Final Rule Training Call. Find a transcript at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/NPC/Downloads/2017-04-27-Emergency-Prep-Transcript.pdf and an audio recording at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/NPC/Downloads/2017-04-27-Emergency-Prep-Audio.zip .