The most important news on NHSN is that according to an email “Clarification” sent June 26, 2017, the deadline for entering and correcting data for Q1 2017 has been extended until July 31, 2017, for reasons explained and documented below. The June NHSN Newsletter documents the deadline as June 30, 2017; however, CDC says to trust the “Clarification” date rather than the Newsletter date.
CDC has released the June NHSN Newsletter, at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/newsletters/index.html . News on the Dialysis Component is on pages 16-17, and includes articles on:
- How to handle AKI patients in NHSN:
- The Newsletter advises that AKI Dialysis Events “should” be entered, but if it’s done properly they won’t be counted against a facility’s QIP scores.
- However, in a separate email announcement on “Clarification on Patients with AKI and [NHSN] Reporting…” they say that reporting PBCs in AKI patients is optional, and extend the Q1 2017 QIP deadline to July 31. CDC has advised us that this announcement supersedes the Newsletter. Find a copy of this email at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/NHSN/0617/nhsn0626.pdf . The email included two attachments:
- “Adding and Editing Dialysis PBC Events to Indicate an AKI Patient … 2017” gives instructions for entering AKI PBCs properly so they won’t count on your PSR, should you decide to enter them. Find it at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/NHSN/0617/AKI.Instr.PBC.2017.pdf .
- “Editing Denominators [in NHSN] to Remove AKI Patient Counts … 2017” describes how to make sure your AKI patients are not counted for QIP purposes. Find this document at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/NHSN/0617/AKI.Inst.Denoms.2017.pdf .
- The June 17, 2017 release of NHSN v.8.7 was announced on June 20, with a note that any analysis or reporting must be preceded by generation of new datasets:
- This announcement included Release Notes, which can be found at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/NHSN/0617/NHSN8.7.pdf . However, for the Dialysis Component they said only “Analysis and Reporting: An update for 2015 aggregate data has been completed so that users can have access to the most recent data available when comparing a facility or group’s rate to the national pooled mean rate. This update includes new aggregate rates, p-values, and percentiles for 6 rate tables and 6 run charts (all of those in Analysis Reports > Dialysis Events > Rates > CDC-Defined Output).”
- On the other hand, the June Newsletter included a long article on “Release 8.7 Updates.” Find this article on page 16 at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/newsletters/index.html .
- “Prevention Process Measures Analysis” describes how to differently ask for Injection Safety reports on older and later data (page 17).
- The June 30, 2017 QIP deadline, which has been extended to July 31, 2017 (see lead paragraph above). This article includes instructions for reviewing your data for accuracy and completeness (p.17).