New Medicare Card (NMC) mailings to Alaska, California, and Oregon have been completed. Anyone in those states who did not get a new card, should print a Still Waiting for Your New Card? handout from:
- English – https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medicare-Card/Outreach-and-Education/Tear-Off-for-After-Card-Mailing-Ends.pdf.
- Spanish – https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medicare-Card/Outreach-and-Education/Tear-Off-for-After-Card-Mailing-Ends-Spanish.pdf.
And then either:
- Sign into https://www.mymedicare.gov/ to see if their card has been mailed. If so, they can print an official card. If they do not already have an account, they need to create one.
- Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). There might be something that needs to be corrected, such as updating their mailing address.
Mailings to Idaho, Montana, and Washington will not begin till August at the earliest, and probably considerably later. CMS is committed to mailing new cards to everyone with Medicare by April 2019. Until December 31, 2019 health care providers and suppliers can use either the former SSN-based HIC Number, OR the alpha-numeric MBI (Medicare Beneficiary Identifier) on the new cards, for all Medicare transactions.
- NMC Mailing Strategy: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medicare-Card/NMC-Mailing-Strategy.pdf.
- Mailing Status: https://www.medicare.gov/NewCard/.
- NMC information website: https://www.cms.gov/medicare/new-medicare-card/nmc-home.html.
- NMC backstory: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/Downloads/TransitiontoNewMedicareNumbersandCards-909365.pdf.
- MLN Matters document on MBI: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/Downloads/SE18006.pdf.