NKF KDOQI has published a draft of their Clinical Practice Guideline for Nutrition in CKD: 2019 Update. Find it at https://www.kidney.org/sites/default/files/Nutrition_GL%2BSubmission_101719_Public_Review_Copy.pdf.
CROWNWeb will hold their next Town Hall on December 19, 3019 on Understanding the Payment Year 2020 ESRD QIP Final Performance Score Report. Register at https://mycrownweb.org/pcw_community_events/december-2019-town-hall/.
The December CROWNWeb Newsletter is also now available, at https://mycrownweb.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/CROWNWeb-Newsletter-October-2019-2.png. The lead article reviews 2019 and previews 2020, and announces upcoming CROWNWeb modifications on medication reconciliation, ICH CAHPS, and Depression Screening/Followup. The Newsletter also includes its usual tables of Clinical Closing dates and extensive links to Resources, and a preview of CROWNWeb events in 2020, including (updated 12/31/19):
- New User Trainings will move to the third Tuesday of each month (January 21, 2020).
- CROWNWeb Town Halls will be held on the third Thursday of each month (except in January it will be the fourth Thursday, January 30, 2020).
- Training for Medication Reconciliation (January 9 and 23), ICH CAHPS and Depression Screening (January 16), and the new HARP (HCPIS Access Roles and Profile) account management application (at the January 30 Town Hall) will also be held in January.
- Training for 2744 will be held in Spring 2020, date tba.
The FDA has announced Class II recalls of Baxter Prismaflex Control Units for AKI Recovery (https://www.baxter.com/healthcare-professionals/critical-care/prismaflex-system-critical-care) with software versions below 7.21 because of communication errors that may interrupt or delay therapy or result in blood loss. Product Codes and Lot Numbers recalled include:
- Product Code 107493; All Lot numbers; GTIN 07332414073718; see https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ires/index.cfm?Product=176496.
- Product Code 113081; All Lot numbers; GTIN 07332414105266; see https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ires/index.cfm?Product=176499.
- Product Code 115269; All Lot numbers; GTIN 07332414117702; see https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ires/index.cfm?Product=176501.
- Product Code 955542; All Lot numbers; GTIN 07332414124236; see https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ires/index.cfm?Product=176501.
- Product Code 6023014700; All Lot numbers; GTIN 07332414073718; see https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ires/index.cfm?Product=176502.
The FDA has announced a recall of 13 Fr. Trialysis Catheter with Alphacurve. Catalog No. 5653150 UDI 00801741066023 Power-Trialysis Short-Term Alphacurve Dialysis Catheter with a third internal lumen for IV therapy, power injection of contrast media, and central venous pressure monitoring, because labeled catheter size may be incorrect. For details see https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ires/index.cfm?Product=176672.
CMS has published a new mln Matters document on Implementation of Changes in the ESRD PPS and Payment for Dialysis Furnished for AKI in ESRD Facilities for CY2020. Find it at https://www.cms.gov/files/document/mm11506.
Two posts on home dialysis from the Medical Education Institute’s Home Dialysis Central blog:
A patient tells his story about Facing and Overcoming Needle Fear to Dialyize at Home, at https://homedialysis.org/news-and-research/blog/331-facing-and-overcoming-needle-fear-to-dialyze-at-home.
A second patient compares his experience with both peritoneal dialysis and home hemodialysis, at https://homedialysis.org/news-and-research/blog/335-pd-vs-home-hemo-initial-impressions.
The Renal Support Network has added a new podcast on Understanding and Preventing Transplant Rejection, featuring an immunologist talking about antibodies and their impact on transplant decisions and graft rejection. Find the audio at https://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk/understanding-and-preventing-transplant-rejection/.
NHSN will host a one-hour webinar titled NHSN Dialysis Surveillance Call on December 4, 2019, and repeat it on December 5, both at noon PST, that will detail updates to the NHSN Dialysis Component for 2020. Pre-register for one or the other at the links below:
- December 4, 2019: https://globalmeetwebinar.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1272194&tp_key=38d01fc74f. Listen by phone at 706-418-5005, passcode 77572898#.
- December 5, 2019 repeat: https://globalmeetwebinar.webcasts.com/starthere.jsp?ei=1272202&tp_key=d2a3e8f9bf. Listen by phone at 706-418-5005, passcode 47347711#.
Use the same links to join the webinars at showtime. Because Q&A time is limited, NHSN asks that if you have unanswered questions after the webinar, email their helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Dialysis” in the subject line, and they will follow up with you directly.
CROWNWeb has announced their November 21, 2019 Town Hall webinar on 2019 Recap and 2020 Vision. Find details and register at https://mycrownweb.org/pcw_community_events/november-2019-town-hall/.
November 18-22, 2019 is US Antibiotic Awareness Week. For information and resources, see https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/week/toolkit.html?deliveryName=USCDC_426-DHQP-DM13106.