Current NHSN Dialysis Component Bugs: Contrary to the software’s response, Denominator Data is not actually saved after making updates. CMS analysis reports within NHSN are not functioning as expected. On February 11, 2020, NHSN reported that “our technical team is working to resolve [these issues] as soon as possible. We will provide an update shortly.” Find the NHSN Current Defects List at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/releasemgt/index.html.
The 2020 Outpatient Dialysis Center Practices Survey: Beginning February 8, 2020, users with administrative rights will be able to complete and save this survey by using the ‘Save as Complete’ button. Facilities must complete the Outpatient Dialysis Center Practices Survey by May 1, 2020 in order to be allowed to enter data into the NHSN Dialysis Component. Completion by February 28 is recommended. For convenience, a paper version of the 2020 annual survey can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/forms/57.500_OutpatientDialysisSurv_BLANK.pdf. Enter the information online after you log in to NHSN for your facility.
- Data for October-December 2019 must be entered and corrected by March 31, 2020.
- Data for January-March 2020 must be entered and corrected by June 30, 2020.
- Data for April-June 2020 must be entered and corrected by September 30, 2020.
- Data for July-September 2020 must be entered and corrected by December 31, 2020.
Before each QIP deadline, to insure proper credit, each facility should:
- Review the NHSN Dialysis Event Protocol at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/pscManual/8pscDialysisEventcurrent.pdf to ensure all data were correctly reported to NHSN.
- Review the Three Steps to Review Dialysis Event Surveillance Data at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/dialysis/3-steps-to-review-de-data-2014.pdf.
- Use the How to Create and Read an NHSN Report for CMS ESRD QIP guide at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/dialysis/CMS-QIP-NHSN-report.pdf to verify that your facility has met the minimum CMS reporting requirements.
- Refer to the How to Create and Read an NHSN BSI Report guide at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/dialysis/BSI-cheatsheet.pdf to review your facility’s BSI rates.
- Contact the NHSN Helpdesk at email@example.com using the subject line ‘Dialysis’ if you have any questions.
Paper versions of all NHSN forms can be found under the ‘Data Collection Forms’ section of https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dialysis/event/index.html. For complete NHSN Dialysis Component specifications, see https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dialysis/event/index.html.