CMS has published a new Fact Sheet on Medical Privacy of Protected Health Information, a six-page summary of the major provisions of HIPAA, with extensive links to additional resources. Find it at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/MLN-Publications-Items/CMS1243325.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLFilter=Medical%20privacy&DLSort=0&DLSortDir=descending.
HealthInsight HIPAA PASS will present two HIPAA trainings:
- MIPS, HIPAA and Your EHR: What You Need to Know, free webinar, June 26, 2018. In order to receive a substantial portion of the MIPS Composite Performance Score and maximize revenue opportunity, each provider will have to perform a HIPAA Security Risk Analysis and ensure that your Electronic Health Records are configured appropriately.
- Online HIPAA Privacy and Security Boot Camp, July 26, 2018. Four-hour online webinar on HIPAA privacy and security regulations. How to protect your patients and practice from the financial and reputational harm of audits and breaches. Participants will be more prepared for the role of your organization’s privacy and/or security officer.
For details see https://healthinsight.org/hipaapass#events.
HealthInsight HIPAA PASS will present a four-hour Online HIPAA Privacy and Security Boot Camp January 9, 2018. For details see https://healthinsight.org/hipaapass#events. This web page also includes information on recorded past HIPAA PASS webinars.
HealthInsight will present a HIPAA Privacy and Security Virtual Boot Camp webinar on October 10, 2017. For information and registration see http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=eriguwcab&oeidk=a07eeih7gwaadec87c8 . For more information on HealthInsight’s HIPAA resources, see https://healthinsight.org/hipaapass .
“ASPR TRACIE” (the HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Technical Resources, Assistance Center, and Information Exchange Healthcare Emergency Preparedness Information Gateway) has announced a free online training course on the new CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule. The course has separate versions for Providers and Surveyors:
- Surveyors: https://surveyortraining.cms.hhs.gov/User/Logon.aspx .
- Providers: https://surveyortraining.cms.hhs.gov/pubs/ClassInformation.aspx?cid=0CMSEmPrep_ONL .
ASPR TRACIE has also published a new issue of their Exchange newsletter (https://asprtracie.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/tracie-the-exchange-newsletter-issue5-v10-release-508.pdf), with articles on Health Care Coalitions, Hospice and Emergency Preparedness, their Subject Matter Expert network, the Opioid Crisis, and Resources. The last section includes links to documents such as:
- “Tips for Retaining and Caring for Staff after a Disaster” (https://asprtracie.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/tips-for-retaining-and-caring-for-staff-after-disaster.pdf)
- “HIPAA and Disasters: What Emergency Professionals Need to Know” (https://asprtracie.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/aspr-tracie-hipaa-emergency-fact-sheet.pdf)
Healthinsight’s HIPAA PASS division will present a September 26, 2017 webinar on Introduction to Preparing for a HIPAA Audit, and an October 10, 2017 Online HIPAA Privacy and Security Boot Camp workshop. For details and registration, see https://healthinsight.org/hipaapass#events .
CMS has created a free video training module for health care providers on patients’ right of access under the HIPAA Privacy Rule. The video provides an in-depth review of the components of the HIPAA right of access and ways in which it enables individuals to be more involved in their own care. It also provides helpful suggestions about how health care providers can integrate aspects of the HIPAA access into medical practice. CME and CE credits are available. Find details, and links to other useful HIPAA resources, at https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/training/index.html .