Healio has published an Ocular Surgery News blog post on How to talk to unhappy patients, providing six practical tips for healthcare workers to communicate with patients or staff who are dissatisfied. Whether ocular surgery or CKD, the topic is important. The article begins with “I’ve had many fine mentors and colleagues who taught fantastic lessons in how to manage these tense moments. Applying them properly can make all the difference in saving a patient relationship. Here are my tips for communicating with unhappy patients with a reference to the source where I learned each lesson.” Find the short but powerful article at https://www.healio.com/news/ophthalmology/20210215/blog-how-to-talk-to-unhappy-patients.
PFCCpartners will present a 26 February workshop on Leading in Times of Chaos: The Impact of Traumatic Stress on Individuals and the Culture of an Organization. Find more information and register at https://pfccpartners.com/workshops/.
ANNA will hold their 2020 National Symposium April 19-22, 2020 in Orlando FL. Registration rates increase after March 2, 2020, and again after April 6. Hotel discounts expire on March 20, 2020. Find an overview below, and complete details, agenda, and registration at https://annanurse.org/events/2020-national-symposium/ or http://annasymposium.org/.
Other ANNA events that have been announced (find more information at https://annanurse.org/events/national) include:
- Los Angeles Chapter workshop on The Nurse Perspective: Elevating the Critical Role of Nurses in the Management of sHPT, El Segundo CA, March 10, 2020 (see https://annanurse.org/chapter-program-opportunities).
- National Nephrology Nurses Week, September 13-20, 2020.
- 2020 Nephrology Nursing Practice, Management, & Leadership Conference, Chicago IL, October 17-19, 2020.
- 2021 National Symposium, Palm Springs CA, May 2-5, 2021.
- 2021 Nephrology Nursing Practice, Management, & Leadership Conference, Hollywood Beach FL, September 17-19, 2021.
- 2022 National Symposium, Fort Worth TX, May 22-25, 2022.
IHI will present an eight-session five-month online course on Leading Quality Improvement: Essentials for Managers, beginning January 23, 2018. IHI recommends the course for:
- Managers with clinical or patient care skills but a lack of leadership know-how or QI knowledge
- Staff members with QI experience but not enough to lead improvement efforts
- Organizations where budget constraints make it difficult to provide leadership training to everyone who needs it.
The organization Outcome Engenuity (https://www.outcome-eng.com/) will present a three-day management-certification course for C-level executives on Just Culture: Creating a Foundation of Justice, in Las Vegas NV November 14-16, 2017. HealthInsight is sponsoring the course, and providing a substantial discount for its partners. Major session topics include:
- Just Culture
- Aligning Values and Expectations
- Designing Better Systems
- Making Better Behavioral Choices
- Learning to Systematically Learn
- Finding Justice
- Just Culture Integration
For more information and instructions for discounted registration, see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/JustCulture.pdf .