CMS has published the 2o17 edition of the CMS ESRD Measures Manual, which details how the PY2017 (CY2017) QIP and October 2017 DFC Star Ratings are calculated. The Manual includes information on the new Kt/V and NHSN QIP measures, TPS calculation, PY2020, and changes to DFC and Star Rating calculations. Find a copy of the CMS press release, which includes links to the Manual and supporting material, at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/QIP/CMS%2CQIP.061617.pdf .
On June 28, 2017, a webinar will provide an update to CMS dialysis quality measures and Star Ratings, and discuss recommendations and next steps from the recent Star Ratings Technical Expert Panel and Patient Summit. Register at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4557956566332806147 . Direct questions to CMSESRD@ketchum.com .
Medicare has published a Dialysis Facility Compare Social Media Toolkit brochure in three versions (for patients or consumers, for dialysis facilities, and for physicians) and two languages (English and Spanish). They provide graphic and text suggestions for sharing and promoting DFC on social media. Find copies of them at:
- DFC Consumer Social Media Toolkit: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Eng.DFCToolkit.Pts.pdf
- Herramientas de Redes Sociales para el Consumidor sobre la Comparación de Centros de Diálisis: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Esp.DFCToolkit.Pts.pdf
- DFC Social Media Toolkit for Dialysis Centers: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Eng.DFCToolkit.Facs.pdf
- Herramientas de Redes Sociales para los Centros de Diálisis sobre la Comparación de Centros de Diálisis: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Esp.DFCToolkit.Facs.pdf
- DFC Social Media Toolkit for Physicians: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Eng.DFC.Toolkit.Docs.pdf
- Herramientas de Redes Sociales para los Médicos sobre la Comparación de Centros de Diálisis: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/DFC/Esp.DFCToolkit.Docs.pdf
Northwest Renal Network’s April 2017 Patient Bulletin is on Dialysis Facility Compare or DFC. DFC allows patients to search for dialysis centers, compare them, and find the right one for them. It includes dialysis center contact information, services offered, clinical quality of care measures, and patient experience of care survey results. Find the Bulletin at https://nwrn.org/patients-a-family/ptedres/mon.html .
Medicare and the Kansas City Network have released a four-page Dialysis Facility Compare Social Media Toolkit for Dialysis Centers, with sample graphics and messages appropriate for various social media. Find the Toolkit at http://www.therenalnetwork.org/home/resources/DFC_HCP_DialysisCentersStakeholderToolkit2016-12-05.pdf .
CMS seeks nominations and self-nominations for a Technical Expert Panel to recommend potential quality measures to include in the Dialysis Facility Compare Star Ratings. Patients and professionals with a wide variety of experience and expertise are invited, including patient and healthcare perspectives, methodology, QI and performance measurement, and disparities. Nominations are due by December 22, 2016. For more information see https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/MMS/TechnicalExpertPanels.html#422 .
CMS has published changes to DFC, detailed at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-10-28.html . ICH-CAHPS, Standardized BSI Ratio (SIR), and Pediatric PD Kt/V have been added to DFC, but not to the Star Ratings. Changes have been made to the way the Star Ratings are calculated, and adjustments have been made to the way the Vascular Access, Kt/V, Standardized Readmission Ratio (SRR), and Hypercalcemia components of the Star Ratings are measured. All of these changes are included in the DFC update made October 28, 2016.