Healio has published an Ocular Surgery News blog post on How to talk to unhappy patients, providing six practical tips for healthcare workers to communicate with patients or staff who are dissatisfied. Whether ocular surgery or CKD, the topic is important. The article begins with “I’ve had many fine mentors and colleagues who taught fantastic lessons in how to manage these tense moments. Applying them properly can make all the difference in saving a patient relationship. Here are my tips for communicating with unhappy patients with a reference to the source where I learned each lesson.” Find the short but powerful article at https://www.healio.com/news/ophthalmology/20210215/blog-how-to-talk-to-unhappy-patients.
The supplement the September 16, 2020 NCC COVID-19 webinar on Living in a Multi-Generational Household, NCC has produced one-page tip sheets in English and Spanish on Staying Safe in Multigenerational Households (Cómo mantenerse seguro en un hogar mul generacional). Find more details and register for the webinar at https://esrdncc.org/en/events/2020/september-2020/covid09162020/?date=9/1/2020. Find the tip sheets below:
We’ve published the Fall 2019 ESRD Network 16/18 Provider Newsletters. Find them at:
We include links to earlier issues at the end of this post. Most content is the same for both Networks, but not all. We’ve marked where they differ, and we’ve used blue type where information in one version also applies to the other Network. The Fall 2019 issue feature articles on:
- Quality Improvement:
- 2020 Quality Improvement Activities, which we expect to begin before Christmas.
- Changes to the ESRD QIP, which include changes to measures for the Transplant Waitlist, Medication Reconciliation, Transfusions, and BSIs. We’ve scheduled a December 12, 2019 webinar to summarize these QIP changes (and the many other measures that aren’t changing).
- Opioid Awareness and Pain Management.
- Diabetes Self-Management.
- Patient Services:
- Managing Patient Expectations to help create a calm and conflict-free environment.
- The Dialysis Patient Depression Toolkit.
- Patient Newsletters in English and Spanish for each Network.
- The importance of Keeping Patient Information Up to Date, especially patient addresses, which are critical for tracking everyone in emergencies and disasters, for identifying home facilities and transplant centers near the patient, for receiving notices like the New ESRD Patient Orientation Packet, and for monitoring patient clusters so your organization can effectively plan where to locate new facilities.
- A mini-lesson on how to admit a new patient into CROWNWeb if they do not have an SSN or MBI.
- Emergency Preparedness:
- Fire Danger Power Shutoffs and Fire Resources in California (NW18 version).
- The new ESRD Facility Emergency Preparedness Final Rule that went into effect on November 29, 2019 (NW18 version but also relevant to NW16).
- New KCER document on Emergency Disconnect Procedure for In-Center Hemodialysis Patients (NW16 version but also relevant to NW18).
- Notify the Network of any Interruptions in Service.
- KCER Newsletter.
- Notify the Network of any Personnel Changes.
- Upcoming Events!
We also list events of interest to Dialysis Facilities, Transplant Centers, and staff, on our Facility Calendar, via the link at the top of this page.
Find previous issues at:
November 1, 2019 is the registration deadline for the November 8 CNSW NW Chapter Fall 2019 Educational Conference in Issaquah WA. Ignore the earlier deadline on the Conference brochure (https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW_Fall.2019.pdf), and use the registration form at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW.REG.Fall.2019.pdf to RSVP. Conference topics include ethics, mental health, end of life, patient support, patient engagement, and patient collaboration, with 6.5 CEUs offered.
The CNSW Greater Los Angeles Chapter will present their Fall Semi-Annual Workshop in Burbank CA on November 6, 2019. Topics will include workplace violence, health insurance, and relocation trauma, with 4 CEU hours offered. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW.LA.FALL2019.pdf.
The CNSW NW Chapter will host their Fall 2019 Educational Conference in Issaquah WA on November 8, 2019. Topics include ethics, mental health, end of life, patient support, patient engagement, and patient collaboration. 6.5 CEUs are offered. Find details at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW_Fall.2019.pdf and register at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW.REG.Fall.2019.docx. RSVP by November 1, 2019. Early registration expires October 11, 2019.
Comagine Health ESRD Network 18 will hold its Annual Quality Conference 2019 in Los Angeles on July 15, 2019. Topics include:
- A Patient Panel Discussion on Patient Perspectives on Adherence to Treatment
- New Changes to the ESRD QIP and How it Impacts Facilities
- De-escalation of Disruptive Behaviors and the Social Work Role in Patient Advocacy
- CROWNWeb Question and Answer
- And More!
The program is designed for Facility Managers/Administrators, Nurses, Social Workers, Dietitians, Technicians, Medical Directors, and any other staff that would benefit from a great learning opportunity. 4.5 Nursing or Social Work CE credits are available. For details and registration see http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07egas42064eea495b&llr=gfuz7mxab&showPage=true.
The CNSW Northwest Chapter will hold their Spring 2019 Educational Conference in Issaquah WA May 16-17, 2019. Topics include self care, low mood, depression, rage, despair, suicide, and involuntary discharge. Find Conference details and registration by check at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW0519.Brochure.pdf, and registration by credit card at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW0519.Register.pdf. Registration must be postmarked by May 10, 2019.
The Kansas City Network has added two new one-page healthcare communication tools to their Heartland Huddle: Huddle Up to Improve Communication series. The new entries are on Relationship-Centered Care, which focuses on the patient, but emphasizes the importance of mutual relationships between the care team, the patient, their family, the dialysis organization, and the community. Earlier tools in the series include Active Listening, Body Language, Emotional Awareness, Respect, Shared Decision Making, and Coaching. Find the entire series at http://heartlandkidney.org/providers/quality-improvement/qi-resources/heartland-huddle/.
The National Forum of ESRD Networks will present a May 2, 2018 webinar for dialysis facility staff on The Grievance Toolkit: Fostering Communication and Improving Quality. Continuing education credit will be available for nurses, technicians, and social workers. Find more information and register at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/417211176479162113. Find copies of the Toolkit in English and Spanish at http://esrdnetworks.org/resources/toolkits/patient-toolkits/dialysis-patient-grievance-toolkit-1.