HealthInsight ESRD Network 16 will hold their 2018 Quality Conference October 11, 2018 in Tukwila WA. Topics will include the wearable kidney, patient-centered care, home dialysis, emergency preparedness, transplant, and mentoring, providing 6 CEUs for nurses, technicians, social workers, and dietitians. For details and registration see http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07efe2a3np27c59239&llr=hakkwkrab.
The Advanced Renal Education Program of the IHPD and ISHD will present a May 4, 2018 in-person one-day seminar in Anaheim CA for nephrology MDs, PAs, and NPs called Home Therapies Workshop. For more information and registration see http://www.cvent.com/events/western-home-therapies-workshop/event-summary-1de56028854547ad8b8a19f5ec62b574.aspx.
Forms for inventorying the NxStage Dialysis Sacks that were recalled in January 2018 can be found at https://www.nxstage.com/?s=recall.
Kidney Care Partners (https://www.pr.com/press-release/744275) has summarized the ESRD-related provisions of the new budget law, H.R.1892 – Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018; the Act “will expand the use of home dialysis therapy through use of telehealth services; expedite patient access to quality dialysis care at newly certified facilities; and extend authority for Special Needs Plans (C-SNPs) without interruption in care.” In addition, payments for non-emergency ambulance use are reduced.
While the legislation as passed and signed may not be effective until HHS converts it to administrative law, the original lawyerese can be found at:
- For home health telehealth, https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1892/text#toc-HD17800AE048F430AB1B9EEFBB03FDD55.
- For newly certified units: “an initial survey of a … renal dialysis facility … shall be initiated not later than 90 days after such date on which both the provider enrollment form … [is] complete and the provider’s enrollment status indicates approval is pending the results of such survey,” https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1892/text#toc-H63740900ED184AAFA50F73B6BE696312.
- For continued access to Medicare Advantage special needs plans for vulnerable populations, https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1892/text#toc-H89926B550ADD45858E6C1A410176952E.
- For reduction of non-emergency ESRD ambulance transport payments, https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1892/text#toc-HC2CE8E0B05404D7CAB3E35F887FDC255.
The payment deadline for discounted registration to the 2018 NWRD Annual Conference is February 15, 2018. The Conference will be held March 8-9, 2018 in Spokane WA. Register at http://www.nwrdonline.org/registration-2018. Find the agenda, with includes Native American diets and disparities, disaster relief, vegetarian and vegan diets, transplant, diabetes, home hemo, new medications, EOL, and mentoring, at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/NWRD/NWRD.0318.pdf.
The 2018 NWRD Annual Conference will be held March 8-9, 2018 in Spokane WA. Payment received by February 15, 2018 will be discounted $50. Register at http://www.nwrdonline.org/registration-2018. The agenda includes CKD, disparities, and diet among Native American patients, hurricane relief, vegetarian and vegan diets, transplantation, diabetes, home hemo, new medications, EOL, mentoring, and a “3K Walk and Talk” along the Spokane River featuring best practices to “Renew, Refocus, and Refresh.” Fourteen CPEUs are available. Find the agenda at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/NWRD/NWRD.0318.pdf.
The Conference also includes an evening networking opportunity, cooking class, and renal diet workshop called Cultivate your CKD Culinary Skills led by NKF chef instructor Duane Sunwold of the Inland Northwest Culinary Academy. Chef Sunwold, an experienced chef, culinary arts instructor, and former kidney patient, was able to put his kidney disease in remission, in part by changing his lifestyle and diet. He will share professional techniques for teaching patients how to improve their diet. Two additional CPEUs are offered for the evening. Find more information at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/NWRD/NWRD.0318.Networking.pdf.
There is also space available for a few more poster sessions on your special project, teaching method, idea, or research; find details at http://www.nwrdonline.org/registration-2018.
Home Dialysis Central, at http://homedialysis.org/news-and-research/blog/236-emergency-planning-for-home-therapies, has published an emergency preparedness checklist for facilities with home patients. The checklist was motivated by hurricanes, but it applies equally to serious winter storms, fire, flood, earthquake, and general bedlam.
Networks are required by CMS to track the status of facility operations and patient access to treatment during emergency events. If the operations of your facility, or ability for patients to have access to dialysis are impacted by emergency events, please let your Network know right away.
- In Southern California (Network 18), contact Eileen Rhodes or Julie Aguilar at 888-268-1539 or by email at ERhodes@nw18.esrd.net or JAguilar@nw18.esrd.net , and fill out the form at http://www.esrdnetwork18.org/machform/embed.php?id=16298 .
- In Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington (Network 16), contact Lisa Hall or Ashley Thomsen at 206-923-0714 or by email at LHall@nw16.esrd.net or firstname.lastname@example.org. We also ask that you fill out and submit the Network 16 Disaster Reporting Form, at https://nwrn.org/files/E/Interruptions.pdf .
The Kidney Foundation of Canada has also posted a list of tips to help patients survive winter storms; see https://www.kidney.ca/page.aspx?pid=2209.