The National Forum of ESRD Networks has introduced or updated several Medical Advisory Council (MAC) Toolkits. Two new Kits include the Transplant Toolkit and the Medication Conversion Toolkit. The Transitions of Care Toolkit was updated in mid-April. Find them all at http://esrdnetworks.org/resources/toolkits/mac-toolkits-1, along with the existing Home Dialysis Toolkit, Medical Directors Toolkit, QAPI Toolkit, Medication Reconciliation Toolkit, Catheter Reduction Toolkit, Vaccination Toolkit, and Assurance of Diabetes Care Coordination Toolkit.
CMS has released the proposed ESRD QIP Technical Specifications for PY2021, 2022, and 2024. Proposed changes include:
- Elimination of Pain Assessment (NOT Depression Screening as indicated earlier), NHSN Healthcare Personnel Vaccination, Anemia Management, and Serum Phosphorous in PY2021.
- New measures for Medication Reconciliation Reporting and Existing-Patient Transplant Waitlist for PY2022.
- A new measure for Incident-Patient Transplant Waitlist in PY2024.
HealthInsight, the New Mexico Dept of Heath, and the NM Immunization Coalition will present an August 29, 2018 webinar on Reducing Morbidity, Mortality and Health Care Costs through Adult Immunization. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/DrTanImmunize.PDF.
CMS has released a proposed rule for the CY2019 ESRD PPS, titled Proposed Updates to Policies and Payment Rates for the ESRD PPS, … QIP; and Payment for Renal Dialysis Services Furnished to Individuals with AKI and a fact sheet summarizing it. The ellipsis in the title refers to durable medical equipment changes included in the same proposed rule. Find the fact sheet at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2018-Fact-sheets-items/2018-07-11.html.
The fact sheet includes summaries of:
- Removing the Healthcare Personnel Vaccination, Pain Assessment, Anemia Management, and Serum Phosphorus reporting measures from the PY2021 QIP.
- Restructuring domains and weights in the PY2021 QIP.
- Expanding NHSN validation in both PY2021 and PY2022.
- Adding measures for Percentage of Patients Waitlisted and Medication Reconciliation to the PY2022 QIP.
- Adding a measure on Standardized First Transplant Waitlist Ratio for Incident Patients to the PY2024 QIP.
The proposed rule can be found on the Federal Register at https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2018-14986.pdf. Comments must be received by September 10, 2018.
CDC has issued a Health Alert Network Advisory on Hepatitis A Virus infections, especially among drug users and homeless persons. The HAN includes recommendations for testing, vaccination, reporting, and other healthcare facility procedures. For details see https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00412.asp.
CDC will present a free February 22, 2018 webinar on Empowering Nurses to Protect Themselves and Their Patients: Exploring Best Practices in Injection Safety. For details and registration, see https://cc.readytalk.com/registration/#/?meeting=g3qmrx0o1rdc&campaign=j5n63qeujgek. For recordings of previous webinars, see https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/training/safe-healthcare-webinars.html.
CDC has issued a “HAN” Health Advisory on increased influenza A(H3N2) activity and its clinical implications. The HAN also includes a summary of influenza antiviral drug treatment recommendations, an update about approved treatment drugs and current supply, and background information for patients about influenza treatment. Find the HAN at https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00409.asp.
CMS has also recently published a list of flu vaccine resources, at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/FFSProvPartProg/Provider-Partnership-Email-Archive-Items/2016-12-08-eNews.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLSort=0&DLSortDir=descending#_Toc468862699.