The Global Sepsis Alliance will present the free, online 2nd World Sepsis Congress September 5-6, 2018, featuring 100 speakers from 30 countries. For more information on both the Alliance and the Congress, see https://www.worldsepsiscongress.org/. CDC’s presentation will be September 6, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. PDT.
September 13, 2018 is World Sepsis Day, and September is Sepsis Awareness Month, the first anniversary of CDC’s Get Ahead of Sepsis program. Find CDC’s educational materials on Sepsis at https://www.cdc.gov/sepsis/education/index.html, and their Get Ahead of Sepsis web page, in English and Spanish, at https://www.cdc.gov/sepsis/.
Find more information and tools at https://www.world-sepsis-day.org/ and https://www.sepsis.org/sepsisawarenessmonth/.
HealthInsight, the New Mexico Dept of Heath, and the NM Immunization Coalition will present an August 29, 2018 webinar on Reducing Morbidity, Mortality and Health Care Costs through Adult Immunization. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/DrTanImmunize.PDF.
NHSN will present four ESRD Component trainings during August 2018. Listen-only audio for these will be available through your computer’s speakers. If you need audio via telephone, the dial-in number for all sessions is 303-248-0285 (toll), with access code 6393927.
- Introduction to the NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Protocol will be held on August 7, 2018 and repeated on August 8, to provide details necessary to meet the ESRD QIP requirements for NHSN reporting and BSI monitoring. Registration is required at:
- Advanced NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Reporting and Introduction to NHSN Reports will be held on August 14, 2018 and repeated on August 15. Register at:
The newly published June NHSN Newsletter includes no updates to the Dialysis Component, but starting on page 11 it does describe several articles that are relevant to all NHSN users, including training updates, a call for version 9.2 (October 2018) beta testing volunteers, published case studies, automated data entry (CDA) updates, and usage statistics. Over 7,000 dialysis facilities are enrolled. Find NHSN Newsletters at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/newsletters/index.html.
To clarify how to use NHSN, CDC has published an “educational roadmap” of the training materials available for the NHSN Dialysis Component. Find the dialysis roadmap at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/training/roadmap/dialysis-roadmap.html.
CMS QualityNet has published an ESRD QIP Q&A web page, at https://cms-ocsq.custhelp.com/app/homeesrdqip/p/960.
You may also sign up on a “ListServ” or bulletin board to receive a variety of CMS bulletins and stakeholder discussions, including those on the ESRD QIP, HAI, and others, at https://www.qualitynet.org/dcs/ContentServer?pagename=QnetPublic/ListServe/Register.
The Making Dialysis Safer for Patients Coalition and the Nephrologists Transforming Dialysis Safety project will present a free June 19, 2018 Targeting Zero Infections CE webinar on recommendations and best practices for environmental disinfection in the dialysis unit. The webinar will cover:
- CDC recommendations for dialysis station environmental disinfection
- The patient perspective on environmental cleanliness
- Challenges and solutions for reliable implementation of best practices for environmental disinfection
- The responsibility of the Medical Director in ensuring proper environmental disinfection in the dialysis unit
Audio for the webinar will come through your computer speakers. Register at https://www.asn-online.org/store/webinar.aspx?evt_key=6b3914ee-4cf4-4945-84ab-115ebb8c8fcd&g2w_key=386530404480317697.