November 1, 2019 is the registration deadline for the November 8 CNSW NW Chapter Fall 2019 Educational Conference in Issaquah WA. Ignore the earlier deadline on the Conference brochure (https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW_Fall.2019.pdf), and use the registration form at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW.REG.Fall.2019.pdf to RSVP. Conference topics include ethics, mental health, end of life, patient support, patient engagement, and patient collaboration, with 6.5 CEUs offered.
The CNSW NW Chapter will host their Fall 2019 Educational Conference in Issaquah WA on November 8, 2019. Topics include ethics, mental health, end of life, patient support, patient engagement, and patient collaboration. 6.5 CEUs are offered. Find details at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW_Fall.2019.pdf and register at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW.REG.Fall.2019.docx. RSVP by November 1, 2019. Early registration expires October 11, 2019.
- In mid-June 2019 a series of presentations on Infection Control, offering free CME/CE credits to physicians, nurses, and pharmacists, will expire. CDC and Medscape produced them in 2017 with the intention that they’d be valid for two years. The six presentations include Risk Recognition, Environmental Services, Medical Equipment, Nonsterile Gloves, Hierarchy of Controls, and Injection Safety. Find them at https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/training/cme-info.html.
- The Joint Commission Speak Up series includes a poster and short video in English and Spanish on Infection Prevention. Find these tools and many more at https://www.jointcommission.org/topics/speak_up_infection_control.aspx. The Speak Up series also includes resources on Five Ways to Be Active in Your Care at the Hospital for dialysis and diabetes patients, on Avoiding a Return Trip to the Hospital, on Depression, on Organ Donation, on Pain, and many other topics. Find them all at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3e5uml0tk6myy4s/AAB0a91UJK8p8-VkokWD0q2Ga?dl=0.
- The Oregon Patient Safety Commission suggests giving your facility a Patient Safety Culture Survey, such as those provided by the HHS Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). While they don’t have a Survey specifically for dialysis facilities, most of the questions on any of their surveys are directly applicable or can easily be adapted. For details see https://oregonpatientsafety.org/news-information/patient-safety-alerts/add-patient-safety-culture-surveys-to-your-prevention-toolbox/945/.
- AHRQ will present a June 12, 2019 webinar on Best Practices for Web-Based Surveys on Patient Safety Culture; register at https://westat.webex.com/mw3300/mywebex/default.do?nomenu=true&siteurl=westat&service=6&rnd=0.14765443759873476&main_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwestat.webex.com%2Fec3300%2Feventcenter%2Fevent%2FeventAction.do%3FtheAction%3Ddetail%26%26%26EMK%3D4832534b00000004055fc9090fc824db69d4fc807faaa82be8a7e2f6b039075465c816eb25f825d0%26siteurl%3Dwestat%26confViewID%3D123809633363065597%26encryptTicket%3DSDJTSwAAAARxY3pJMqWtIxlWNZjpy6DEzK3qsti–1Bsvb7DlIp51Q2%26#utm_source=SOPSanc&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=20190422.
- The CDC Safe Healthcare Blog makes a good frequent reminder about the ever-present danger of infection, and how to respond to it effectively. It’s post for this week is titled Clean Hands Count to Keep Patients Safe from Healthcare Associated Infections. Find the post and the Blog at https://blogs.cdc.gov/safehealthcare/clean-hands-count-to-keep-patients-safe-from-healthcare-associated-infections/.
The CNSW Northwest Chapter will hold their Spring 2019 Educational Conference in Issaquah WA May 16-17, 2019. Topics include self care, low mood, depression, rage, despair, suicide, and involuntary discharge. Find Conference details and registration by check at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW0519.Brochure.pdf, and registration by credit card at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW0519.Register.pdf. Registration must be postmarked by May 10, 2019.
The Forum of ESRD Networks has added a recording and slides from their October 4, 2018 live webinar on Depression & Dialysis: Removing the Stigma and Strengthening our Mental Health. The event was hosted by patient leaders from the the Forum in collaboration with AAKP and NKF. Find these resources, plus ancillary tools, at http://esrdnetworks.org/education/quality-conference/quality-conference-webinar-series-2018-2019.
The National Forum of ESRD Networks has revised the Dialysis Patient Depression Toolkit and added a video. Find the revised English version at http://esrdnetworks.org/resources/toolkits/patient-toolkits/new-toolkit-dialysis-patient-depression-toolkit/dialysis-patient-depression-toolkit-english and a Spanish version at http://esrdnetworks.org/resources/toolkits/patient-toolkits/new-toolkit-dialysis-patient-depression-toolkit/dialysis-patient-depression-toolkit-spanish. A related video interview with a dialysis patient has also been recorded. Find it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Iv6JytQt4.
The OR SW-Wa Chapter of CNSW will present a November 7, 2019 Nephrology Palliative Care Workshop in Portland OR. For full details see below: