CMS has released a proposed rule for the CY2019 ESRD PPS, titled Proposed Updates to Policies and Payment Rates for the ESRD PPS, … QIP; and Payment for Renal Dialysis Services Furnished to Individuals with AKI and a fact sheet summarizing it. The ellipsis in the title refers to durable medical equipment changes included in the same proposed rule. Find the fact sheet at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2018-Fact-sheets-items/2018-07-11.html.
The fact sheet includes summaries of:
- Removing the Healthcare Personnel Vaccination, Pain Assessment, Anemia Management, and Serum Phosphorus reporting measures from the PY2021 QIP.
- Restructuring domains and weights in the PY2021 QIP.
- Expanding NHSN validation in both PY2021 and PY2022.
- Adding measures for Percentage of Patients Waitlisted and Medication Reconciliation to the PY2022 QIP.
- Adding a measure on Standardized First Transplant Waitlist Ratio for Incident Patients to the PY2024 QIP.
The proposed rule can be found on the Federal Register at https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2018-14986.pdf. Comments must be received by September 10, 2018.
NHSN will present four ESRD Component trainings during August 2018. Listen-only audio for these will be available through your computer’s speakers. If you need audio via telephone, the dial-in number for all sessions is 303-248-0285 (toll), with access code 6393927.
- Introduction to the NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Protocol will be held on August 7, 2018 and repeated on August 8, to provide details necessary to meet the ESRD QIP requirements for NHSN reporting and BSI monitoring. Registration is required at:
- Advanced NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Reporting and Introduction to NHSN Reports will be held on August 14, 2018 and repeated on August 15. Register at:
The newly published June NHSN Newsletter includes no updates to the Dialysis Component, but starting on page 11 it does describe several articles that are relevant to all NHSN users, including training updates, a call for version 9.2 (October 2018) beta testing volunteers, published case studies, automated data entry (CDA) updates, and usage statistics. Over 7,000 dialysis facilities are enrolled. Find NHSN Newsletters at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/newsletters/index.html.
To clarify how to use NHSN, CDC has published an “educational roadmap” of the training materials available for the NHSN Dialysis Component. Find the dialysis roadmap at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/training/roadmap/dialysis-roadmap.html.
CMS has announced that the deadline for entering and correcting NHSN data for January-March 2018 has been extended to July 2, 2018. Corrections or additions entered after that date will not be forwarded from CDC to CMS, and they will not be included in your QIP calculations. Send questions to ESRDQIP@cms.hhs.gov.
The June 28, 2018 CROWNWeb Town Hall, titled A Look into the Future, will include review of the CMS assessment of ESRD Quality Goals, and discussion of and screenshots of EQRS 2.0, which will combine CROWNWeb, the ESRD QIP, and REMIS. For full details and registration, see http://mycrownweb.org/pcw_community_events/crownweb-town-hall-event-a-look-into-the-future/.
CDC has announces a deadline extension for completing the online NHSN Agreement to Participate and Consent form, referred to as the “Consent” in this announcement. The new deadline for completing the Consent is July 9, 2018.
The Consent is accessible to only the NHSN Facility Administrator or Primary Contact user. If the Consent is not completed by the new deadline, access to NHSN will be temporarily suspended, and facilities may not be able to submit data for their QIP. Additionally, other NHSN users will receive an error message when they attempt to log in, redirecting them to the FA or Primary Contact.
For more information on how to complete the Consent process, see https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/about-nhsn/faq-agreement-to-participate.html, or direct questions to NHSN@cdc.gov.