NHSN was updated to Version 9.3 on April 27, 2019. There have been many additions and changes with this release, including the following updates to the Dialysis Component:
- CDA Dialysis Monthly Summary – the CDA for version R3D3 of the Dialysis Monthly Summary was updated to allow “Report No Events”. The functionality is available for both manual CDA import and Direct CDA submissions.
- Analysis and Reporting:
- Updated dialysis aggregate data from 2016-2017 for rate tables and run charts.
- Created a new TAP report type and changed report icon for Excess Infections. A new Excess Infections report type allows for modifications to the TAP report without disturbing functionality used by other NHSN components.
- In 2018, the Dialysis Component began collecting data using an AKI location. Now that some data have been collected, data reported to that AKI location are included in dialysis rate tables and run charts so facilities and groups can review AKI-specific rates for the various dialysis event measures.
In order to use any of the new analysis output options you must first regenerate datasets. As always, send all questions to the NHSN Helpdesk at NHSN@cdc.gov.
Help Desk: NHSN is now using a help desk management system for all NHSN inquiries. Each message will now be assigned a ticket number for tracking. When you contact NHSN@cdc.gov, you will receive a notification that your incident has been assigned a ticket number and all correspondence on that subject will be tracked by that number. The appropriate subject matter expert will respond to your message as soon as possible.
Training Needs Assessment: If you have already taken the NHSN Dialysis Event Module Training Needs Assessment, and the survey only allowed you to complete the ‘Demographics’ section, please retake the Assessment, at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DialysisEventTNA, by May 31, 2019.
Training Webinars: NHSN will provide free webinars for new and experienced NHSN users. CDC subject matter experts will be available to answer your questions about NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance.
- Introduction to the NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Protocol: NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance reporting is required for the CMS ESRD QIP. This session will introduce NHSN Dialysis Event reporting requirements, and define the surveillance terms necessary to complete accurate monthly reporting. The May 15 webinar is a repeat of the May 14 session.
- Advanced NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Reporting and Introduction to NHSN Reports: Learn how to apply NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance through case studies that address common reporting questions. The session also will introduce running and interpreting the most popular NHSN reports so you can review your facility’s data, including Dialysis Event BSI rates. The May 22 webinar is a repeat of the May 21 session.
For any of the webinars, Listen-only audio will be available through your computer speakers. For dial-in audio access, call 303-248-0285 and use Access Code 6393927. Please contact NHSN@cdc.gov with “Dialysis” in the subject line with any questions.
Required Annual Training: The Dialysis Event Module annual training has been updated and moved to a new platform called CDC TRAIN. Self-paced training and post-assessment will remain the same as the previous version, but the CDC TRAIN platform requires you to register with the site, and allows you to save your training certificates after completion. NHSN recommends that all users take this training, but at least one user per facility is required to take and pass this training annually. Find the training course and instruction guide at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dialysis/event/index.html. Email NHSN@cdc.gov with “Dialysis” in the subject line with any questions.
Training Needs Assessment: In taking the NHSN Dialysis Event Module Training Needs Assessment, some users experienced a system error which only permitted them to complete the Demographics section of the survey. If you experienced this, please retake the Assessment, at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DialysisEventTNA. NHSN apologizes for the inconvenience and truly values your input. If you have not taken the Assessment yet, please do, to help NHSN better understand training needs for the Dialysis Event Module. The Assessment will remain open until May 31, 2019.
PSSRs: CMS has announced that PY2019 Performance Score Summary Reports or PSSRs are now available. The PSSR is a spreadsheet containing the performance values of each facility for PY2019. It provides information about facility performance on each ESRD QIP measure as well as the Total Performance Score. Find the PSSRs at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/ESRDQIP/Downloads/PY2019-Performance-Score-Summary-Report-.XLSX. It’s a 12+ megabyte file, so it may take several minutes to download and open.
NHSN: CMS has also announced an extension to the NHSN data entry deadline for the ESRD QIP fourth reporting quarter of 2018 (data for October 1 – December 31, 2018) from March 31, 2019 to April 1, 2019.
Assistance regarding PSSRs or the NHSN deadline can be obtained by contacting the ESRD QIP Support Team using the ESRD QIP Q&A Tool at https://cms-ocsq.custhelp.com/app/homeesrdqip/p/960. For questions or concerns regarding use of the ESRD QIP system, contact the QualityNet Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-288-8912 between 5am and 7pm PT Monday-Friday.
Pain Assessment data submission into CROWNWeb will no longer be required by CMS starting March 1, 2019. The Pain Assessment screen will remain active for facilities to review previously reported data. For details see http://mycrownweb.org/2019/02/pain-assessment-submission/.
CDC is asking NHSN users to evaluate whether and how well the existing Dialysis Event Module training processes meet their needs. Find a survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DialysisEventTNA. Responses will be collected until May 31, 2019.
NHSN will present four training sessions in March, all at 12-1pm PT. Join any of the four by telephone only at 303.248.0285, Access Code 6393927. To join via computer (including audio):
- Introduction to the NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Protocol: NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance reporting is required for the CMS ESRD QIP. Complete introduction to the NHSN Dialysis Event reporting requirements and surveillance definitions necessary to complete accurate monthly reporting. Both sessions will be held 12-1pm PST.
- Advanced NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Reporting and Introduction to NHSN Reports: Applying NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance definitions via case studies that address common reporting questions. Includes introduction to running and interpreting popular NHSN reports to review your facility’s data, including BSI rates. Both sessions will be held 12-1pm PDT.
CMS will host a 15 January, 2019 national call on the CY2019 ESRD PPS final rule and PY2021-22 QIP. Topics include legislative framework; updates to QIP measures, domain structure, and weights; and changes to NHSN data requirements and Validation Study. For details see https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/FFSProvPartProg/Provider-Partnership-Email-Archive-Items/2018-12-20-eNews.html?DLPage=1&DLEntries=10&DLSort=0&DLSortDir=descending#_Toc532966944.