The Oregon Patient Safety Commission will present a half-day March 15, 2019 workshop on Nurturing a Culture of Psychological Safety in Healthcare Organizations with an emphasis on professionalism. CME credits will be available. Early registration expires January 31, 2019. For details and registration see https://www.eventbrite.com/e/8th-annual-oregon-patient-safety-event-registration-53026084446.
The CNSW OR-SW WA Chapter will present a March 13, 2019 Workshop in Portland on Ethics: It’s All about You. Topics will include medical ethics and professional values, racial disparities, healthcare access, and advocacy. Six CEUs are pending. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/CNSW/CNSW.ORWAMar2019Ethics.pdf.
IHI will present a March 8, 2018 “WIHI” on Mindfulness and Patient Safety. When we’re “mindful” we’re paying attention to what’s happening in the Present Moment instead of reviewing the past or planning the future. Mindfulness is also a powerful stress reduction and self-care technique. Find more information, sample exercises, and relevant links, and register, at http://www.ihi.org/education/AudioVideo/WIHI/mindfulness-and-patient-safety/Pages/default.aspx. Find ten introductory exercises at http://www.ihi.org/communities/blogs/10-mindfulness-exercises-for-the-health-care-workplace.
The Oregon-Southwest Washington Chapter of the NKF Council of Nephrology Social Workers will hold a day-long Workshop on Ethical Issues in Dialysis and Transplantation April 28, 2017 in Portland OR. Find details at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/CNSW0417.pdf and maps and driving directions to the Workshop at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/CNSWMap.pdf .
NKF offers a number of webinars under their Professional Education Resource Center or PERC, many of which offer free continuing education credits for multiple disciplines. Some examples:
- Social Work Collaboration for Transplant Patients
- Evidence-Based Social Work
- Anemia and Cardiovascular Disease
- Nephropathic Cystinosis
- Western Diets: Are We Killing Our Patients?
- Ethical Issues When Family Interferes with Transplant
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Cardiometabolic Diseases
- Living Kidney Donations
- Early Detection and Prevention
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Hepatitis C
- Mineral and Bone Disorder
- Minorities, Transplant, and Home Dialysis
- ESRD Core Survey
- Depression and Pain
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Lipid Management
- Journal of Renal Nutrition articles
See http://education.kidney.org/courses for information and registration.
The ANNA Big Sky Chapter will hold their annual Education Day November 11, 2016 in Helena MT on the theme “But Your Honor…” Liability Issues for Nurses. Sessions, presented by nationally-known speakers, include malpractice, critical thinking, professional distance, and documentation issues. Six and a half CNEs are offered. They will attempt to coordinate with other ANNA chapters to live-broadcast the conference to your location. Find:
- Invitation and details at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/ANNA.Sky.1116.pdf
- Agenda at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/ANNA.1116.Agenda.pdf
- Registration form at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/ANNA1116.SignUp.pdf
In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month (9/15-10/15), CDC is highlighting the Spanish-language resources in their National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP). Find them at https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/ndep/communities/hispanic-latino-american/resources.html .
Also in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, the American Kidney Fund will present Enfermedad de los riñones crónica: prevención y tratamiento (Chronic Kidney Disease: Prevention and Treatment), a webinar entirely and only in Spanish, on October 4, 2016. For details see http://www.kidneyfund.org/training/webinars/ .
AKF also offers free recorded CE courses in their Cornerstones of Care series, on:
- Building Relationships, https://akf.lms.ethosce.com/health-care-professionals/node/2631
- Professionalism, https://akf.lms.ethosce.com/health-care-professionals/node/2625
For the many other free AKF webinars, see https://akf.lms.ethosce.com/health-care-professionals/courses and http://www.kidneyfund.org/training/webinars/ .