September is Pain Awareness Month. CMS is committed to reducing opioid misuse by promoting person-centered care that encourages safe and effective pain management including opioid and non-opioid pain treatments. Medicare Part B helps pay for physical therapy, occupational therapy, manual manipulation of the spine (when medically necessary), and behavioral health services like depression screening, that may help your patients manage their pain. Prescription pain drugs can also be used to help relieve moderate-to-severe pain. For More Information see:
- Recently released MLN Matters article Medicare Coverable Services for Integrative and Non-pharmacological Chronic Pain Management at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/Downloads/SE19008.pdf.
- Pain awareness article Know What Medicare Covers to Help Manage Your Pain at https://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Story-Page/opioids-pain-awareness-month-article.pdf.
- CMS pain management web page at https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/pain-management.
- HHS pain management information at https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/prevention/pain-management-options/.
- CDC web page on pain management at https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/patients/options.html.https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/patients/options.html.