The HHS Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) has published a Final Rule on Removing Financial Disincentives to Living Organ Donation, effective October 22, 2020. The Rule aims to reimburse organ donors more appropriately. Find the Rule in the Federal Register at https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2020-09-22/pdf/2020-20804.pdf. Find a discussion of public comments on the Rule and HRSA response at https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2020-09-22/pdf/2020-20805.pdf.
The ESRD Network Coordinating Center will present two webinars in their COVID-19 series:
- September 22, 2020 webinar for patients on Tips for Effective Telemedicine Visits with Your Healthcare Team. Find the booklet that accompanies this webinar at https://esrdncc.org/globalassets/covid-19/telemedicinepatienttoolkit508.pdf.
- September 30, 2020 webinar for providers on Organ Donation – Impacts of COVID-19. One CEU is available.
For details and registration, and recordings of earlier NCC COVID-19 webinars and “quickinars,” see https://esrdncc.org/en/covid-19/covid-webinars/.
The HHS Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) Office of Regional Operations will present a webinar in English and Spanish to recognize Minority Donor Awareness Month (see https://www.hrsa.gov/enews/past-issues/2020/august-6/national-minority-donor-awareness-month and https://www.giftofhope.org/nmdam-2020/). The focus this year is on the Latinx community. Both versions are free to attend, but prior registration is required. All who register will receive a link to a recording of the webinar.
- HRSA Public Health Webinar Series: National Minority Donor Awareness Month, 11am-12:30 pm Aug 24, 2020. Find more information and register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hrsa-public-health-webinar-series-national-minority-donor-awareness-month-registration-115602673709.
- Serie de seminarios web sobre salud pública de HRSA: Mes Nacional para la Concientización de la Donación en Minorías, 11am-12:30 pm 28 de agosto de 2020. Find more information and register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mes-nacional-para-la-concientizacion-de-la-donacion-en-minorias-registration-116062888223.
For more information, contact HRSAORORegion7@hrsa.gov.
The ESRD NCC has published a new 2-minute video on the risk of “High-KDPI” (Kidney Donor Profile Index, a measure of likely graft survival) kidneys for transplant and the advantage of earlier transplant which High-KDPI organs may enable. Find the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viFqw83IxiQ&t=17s or below:
Donate Life Northwest remind us that February 14, 2020 is National Donor Day, and provides links to facilitate its celebration at https://mailchi.mp/donatelifenw.org/february-2020-donate-lifeline?e=d7486be0ed. This web page also provides information about their March 12, 2020 Volunteer Orientation course in Portland, their Fundraising Team for the April 24-26, 2020 Eugene Marathon, planned giving, and their Threads of Life quilting project (quilt squares are due February 17, 2020).
Kidneys Quest Foundation will present a free in-person one-day 2020 Kidney Disease Impact Conference in Los Angeles on March 4, 2020. Conference topics will include improving renal health, preventing kidney failure, expanding options for kidney patients, dialysis, home dialysis, research, clinical trials, increasing available organs for transplant, transplant support, becoming a living donor, CKD and CVD, and pediatric CKD.
Invitation is extended to renal patients, social workers, registered nurses, dietitians, dialysis technicians, medical directors, administrators and organization managers, healthcare workers, friends and family of patients, and anyone interested in kidney disease and dialysis. Attendance and onsite parking is free, and continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. Continuing education credits for nurses, social workers, dietitians, and dialysis technicians are available for a $50 fee. Pre-registration is required, and space is limited. Register at:
- https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07egu68tk72e9b31a2&oseq=&c=&ch= for those who want CE credit.
- https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07egu6bqw6f4f810f0&oseq=&c=&ch= for all others.
Find complete details, including the Conference agenda and sponsor registration information, at http://kidneysquestfoundation.org/2020-kidney-disease-impact-conference.html.
Dialysis Patient Citizens will present a February 27, 2020 national conference call on Having Your Donor Find You, led by a twice-successful living-donor transplant recipient. For details see https://www.dpcedcenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/202002_flier.pdf.
NKF has also recently released an online essay on Five Big Benefits of Living Donation for the Donor. The “five” mostly apply to donation to a spouse, relative, or close friend, but the article also includes two additional Big Benefits to any living donor. Find the essay at https://www.kidney.org/newsletter/5-big-benefits-living-donation-donor.
NKF will present their Annual Kidney Community Symposium in Portland on March 1, 2020, featuring sessions on The Future of Kidney Care, Home Dialysis, Living Donation, and the presentation of the Elizabeth Kemble Friends of the Kidney Community Award. For details and registration, see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/PKG/PKG2020PtSymp.pdf.
UCLA’s CORE Kidney Program has announced the timing of their next several webinars, UKEEP meetings, and annual Kidney Fair at the Beach. They will present:
- A December 3, 2019 webinar on the UCLA CORE Kidney Program itself called Giving Tuesday; find a poster about it, with registration information, at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UCLACore120719.pdf.
- A December 8, 2019 UKEEP meeting on Drugs and Medications: What You Need to Know.
- A January 16, 2020 webinar on High Blood Pressure: What You Need to Know.
- A February 13, 2020 webinar on Living Kidney Donation.
- Their May 17, 2020 Kidney Fair at the Beach.
For more information on these and to RSVP, see https://www.uclahealth.org/core-kidney/upcoming-events.
Please join us for a FREE in person event where you will learn more about finding a living kidney donor!
When? – September 3, 2019 from 10:00am to 12:00pm
Where? – Glendale, CA
During this event you will learn how to find a living kidney donor!
This event will be a taught by Nancy Marlin, a kidney patient who has been through the process. She will share how she was able to successfully find a living kidney donor through sharing her kidney story with others.
She has a wealth of information to share with you so please don’t miss out on this great opportunity.
Please call to Register. Space is limited.
This event is free to you!
Parking is free and snacks will be provided.
We look forward to seeing you!
Date: September 3, 2019
Location: 621 East Glenoaks Blvd. #B Glendale, CA 91207
Time: 10:00am – 12:00pm
Please feel free to share with others!