The Renal Support Network presents a KidneyTalk podcast interviewing the author of the new book Kidney Transplantation: The Patient’s Guide, “a treasure trove of information that covers the A to Z of the kidney transplant process, from pre-transplant to post,” according to RSN. For details see https://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk/kidney-transplantation-the-patients-guide/.
Donate Life Northwest is dedicated to helping transplant candidates maintain hope while waiting for an available matching kidney. They offer training to volunteers for various situations. Their upcoming training, volunteering, and celebration schedule includes:
- August 14, 2018 – School Speaker training in Portland OR
- August 15, 2018 – Volunteer Orientation in Bend OR
- August 16, 2018 – School Speaker training in Portland OR
- September 4, 2018 – Volunteer Orientation in Portland OR
- September 8, 2018 – Volunteer Opportunity in Vancouver WA
- September 8, 2018 – Donor Family Picnic in Salem OR
- September 13, 2018 – School Speaker training in Eugene OR
- September 13, 2018 – Volunteer Orientation in Eugene OR
- September 16, 2018 – Volunteer Opportunity in Portland OR
- September 23, 2018 – Volunteer Opportunity in Portland OR
- November 7, 2018 – Lifesavers Breakfast
For more details, see https://mailchi.mp/donatelifenw.org/sharing-hope-this-summer. This web page also introduces their new Latino Outreach Coordinator, Donor stories in English and Spanish, winners of their recent raffle, and information on including Donate Life Northwest in your estate, insurance, or financial plans.
Oregon Health Sciences University will hold a free July 21, 2018 Transplant Picnic for recipients, donors, patients on a waitlist, health care providers, friends, and family members. For more information see https://www.ohsu.edu/xd/health/services/transplant/about-us/outreach-programs/upload/Event-Flyer.pdf. No RSVP is necessary.
Dialysis Patient Citizens will present an April 26, 2018 webinar on A Livable, Lovable Approach to Kidney Disease Nutrition. The webinar will include information on using food to slow progression and reduce complications of kidney disease, on reducing confusion in kidney-friendly diets, and on making them more enjoyable. For details and registration see http://www.dpcedcenter.org/education-seminars.
DPC will also present educational webinars on May 24, June 28, July 26, August 23, September 27, October 25, November 22, and December 27, 2018. The May and July webinars will be on kidney transplantation.
UNOS/OPTN has proposed changes to the organ procurement policies and bylaws for transplantation. Find details at https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/governance/public-comment. The American Journal of Kidney Diseases blog has posted comments on the proposals, at https://ajkdblog.org/2018/03/07/controversial-optn-committee-structure-changes-up-for-public-comment/.
Donate Life Northwest reminds us that April is National Donate Life Month – see https://www.donatelife.net/ndlm/ for details and resources.
They’ve also announced many new volunteer training sessions and other community events:
- March 14, 2018 – Donate Life 101 and 301 in La Grande OR
- March 19, 2018 – New Ambassador Orientation, Portland OR
- April 11, 2018 – Happy Hour, Medford OR
- April 12, 2018 – Donate Life 101 and 301 in Medford OR
- April 13-14, 2018 – Pear Blossom Festival Parade, Medford OR
- April 15, 2018 – Quilt Unveiling, Medford OR
- April 22, 2018 – Quilt Unveiling, Portland OR
- May 7, 2018 – New Ambassador Orientation, Portland OR
- May 26, 2018 – Tabor Trot run/walk, Portland OR
Find more information about any of these at https://www.donatelifenw.org/news-and-events/calendar, along with more information about previously announced trainings in Portland March 18, March 25, and April 1, 2018, and the previously announced Trailblazers basketball game group tickets on March 30, 2018 (see also the Patient Calendar above).
NKF, the Portland Kidney Group, and Legacy Health will present a March 18, 2018 Patient & Community Education Symposium in Portland OR on Everyday Heroes and New Technology and Treatment Updates. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/NKF/PrtldSymp2018.pdf.