The Road Back to Life is a nonprofit organization that provides mentoring to dialysis patients, patient support groups, and award-winning CKD classes. They offer patient support groups in Lynnwood WA on October 23, November 27, and December 25, 2018, and in both Monroe and Mountlake Terrace WA on November 13 and December 11. They also provide November 8, December 6, and December 13, 2018 courses on HOPE (or Healthy Options) in Mountlake Terrace, and a six-part course November 7-December 19 on Survive and Thrive with CKD in Lynnwood WA. For details see https://www.kidneysupportgroup.com/calendar/. For more information on The Road Back to Life see https://www.kidneysupportgroup.com/.
The Portland Kidney Group invites patients and care partners to their October 30, 2018 Support Group Meeting in Milwaukie OR. Topics of discussion will include treatment options and holiday coping strategies. Kidney-friendly refreshments will be provided, but RSVP is requested. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/PKG/PKG1018.pdf.
The ASN Kidney Health Initiative has published a prospective Technology Roadmap for Innovative Approaches to Renal Replacement Therapy, and solicits public comments on the document by September 14, 2018. Find the document at https://www.asn-online.org/membership/BlastEmails/files/KHI%20RRT%20Roadmap_081418_Draft%20for%20Public%20Comment%20(002).pdf, and comment at https://www.asn-online.org/khi/project.aspx?ID=65.
Donate Life Northwest is dedicated to helping transplant candidates maintain hope while waiting for an available matching kidney. They offer training to volunteers for various situations. Their upcoming training, volunteering, and celebration schedule includes:
- August 14, 2018 – School Speaker training in Portland OR
- August 15, 2018 – Volunteer Orientation in Bend OR
- August 16, 2018 – School Speaker training in Portland OR
- September 4, 2018 – Volunteer Orientation in Portland OR
- September 8, 2018 – Volunteer Opportunity in Vancouver WA
- September 8, 2018 – Donor Family Picnic in Salem OR
- September 13, 2018 – School Speaker training in Eugene OR
- September 13, 2018 – Volunteer Orientation in Eugene OR
- September 16, 2018 – Volunteer Opportunity in Portland OR
- September 23, 2018 – Volunteer Opportunity in Portland OR
- November 7, 2018 – Lifesavers Breakfast
For more details, see https://mailchi.mp/donatelifenw.org/sharing-hope-this-summer. This web page also introduces their new Latino Outreach Coordinator, Donor stories in English and Spanish, winners of their recent raffle, and information on including Donate Life Northwest in your estate, insurance, or financial plans.
Dialysis Patient Citizens will present an August 16, 2018 webinar on Home Dialysis: Is It Your Best Treatment Option? Register at http://www.dpcedcenter.org/.
The video My Choice, Home Dialysis has been placed on YouTube where it can be accessed easily. It features patients describing the advantages of home dialysis in their own words. Find it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZquRiZ0RwSU. For subtitles:
- Click on the gear symbol (“Settings,” in the lower right)
- Click on “Subtitles/CC(2) Off >”
- Click on “Spanish – Default” or “English – Default”
YouTube can also translate subtitles into more than a hundred additional languages.
Recordings of the 43rd AAKP National Patient Meeting, held June 8-10, 2018 in St. Petersburg FL, are now available online, at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwT_eU7vwGtHSapN8PKc-Hw. Sessions include:
- Assessing Dialysis Facility Quality: CMS Engagement of Kidney Patients
- Innovations in Kidney Disease Care
- Paving the Way for a Better Tomorrow: Understanding Clinical Trials
- Improving Kidney Care and Treatment Options – NIH Kidney Precision Medicine Project
- Innovation, Patient Focus and Care Improvement – Veterans Administration Leadership in Kidney Care
- Nutrition 101: Understanding & Enjoying Your Kidney-Friendly Diet
- Patient-Centered Kidney Disease Care: How to Change the Status Quo