Dialysis Component forms for 2017, including Dialysis Event forms and Denominators for Dialysis Event forms, should NOT be entered into NHSN until after January 7, 2017. This includes CDA via manual import and DIRECT CDA Automation. Instead, please keep a paper or electronic copy of the January events/census and wait to enter these data until NHSN announces the system update has been completed.
- For a description of the new features and changes occurring in the Dialysis Component with the January system update, see the Dialysis Newsblast Archive website at http://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dialysis/newsblasts/index.html .
- For a paper copy of the Outpatient Dialysis Center Practices Survey, Dialysis Event form, and Denominators for Dialysis Event form, visit the Dialysis Event homepage under the Data Collections Forms and Instructions tab, at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dialysis/event/index.html .
- For a paper copy of the new Home Dialysis Practices Survey for facilities that only provide home hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis, visit the Healthcare Personnel Influenza Vaccination homepage under the Data Collections Forms and Instructions tab, at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dialysis/hcp-vaccination/index.html .
- NHSN’s Guide to the SIR provides a comprehensive overview of the standardized infection ratio (SIR), including guidance on calculations, interpretations, and factors (with parameter estimates) used in the updated SIR risk adjustment models; see https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/ps-analysis-resources/nhsn-sir-guide.pdf . Recordings and slides from the 2016 NHSN Rebaseline Webinar are also now available on the NHSN Rebaseline webpage at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/2015rebaseline/index.html .
If you have any questions or concerns, contact the NHSN helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Dialysis” in the subject line.
This year’s PKD National Convention will be held in Orlando FL June 24-26, 2016. Prices go up after May 12. For full details and registration see http://pkdcure.org/convention/ .
The FDA has announced the recall of an additional lot of Baxter 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, because of particulate matter, Product Code 2B1323N, Lot #C964601. For details see http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm456793.htm . For details on the earlier recall, see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2015/07/26/recall-baxter-nacl-injection/ .
The FDA has announced the recall of two lots of Baxter 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, because of particulate matter:
- Product Code 2B1301 Lot #P319921 (50mL VIAFLEX Plastic Container)
- Product Code 2B0043 Lot #P327635 (100 mL MINI-BAG Plus Container)
For details see http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm455370.htm .
The FDA has announced a recall of all sterile products compounded by the Moses Lake Professional Pharmacy between July 21, 2014 and July 21, 2015 because sterility cannot be assured. For details see http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm455931.htm .
The FDA has announced a recall of all sterile and non-sterile products compounded, repackaged, and distributed by Prescription Center Pharmacy of Fayetteville NC, because the business was closed by the state for failing to assure sterility, potency, and stability of the products they sold. The business distributed product to all fifty states. For details see http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm441046.htm .
CMS has released a Fact Sheet on the Medical Privacy of Protected Health Information, a two-page “Medical Professional’s Privacy Guide.” Find it at http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/Downloads/SE0726FactSheet.pdf .