The HealthInsight ESRD Network 18 Quality Conferene 2017 will be held in Los Angeles on July 18, 2017. Onsite parking, continental breakfast, and lunch are all included in the $25 registration fee. All Dialysis staff are invited – PCTs, RNs, SWs, dietitians, nephrologists, management, regional staff, support staff, and more will all benefit. Main Topics include palliative care and advance care planning, violence prevention and de-escalation techniques, Alzheimer’s and dementia, emergency planning and preparedness, infection control, self care, and community resources. Two CEs will be available to RNs and SWs. Find full details and register at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=gfuz7mxab&oeidk=a07ee8xffqt1c2df4c8&oseq= .
The FDA has announced the Class II recall of Arrow International Hemodialysis Catheterization Kits because of danger of needlestick injury. For details see https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ires/index.cfm#Product_154713 .
IHI will offer two professional certification and other educational programs during 2017-18 that may be of interest to dialysis personnel:
- Improvement Coach
- Five webinars: August 30, October 11, 18, and 25, November 29, 2017
- Two three-day in-person workshops in Cambridge MA: mid-September and mid-November 2017
- For details see http://www.ihi.org/education/InPersonTraining/ImprovementCoach/Improvement-Coach/Pages/default.aspx
- Improvement Advisor
- Introductory conference call August 23, 2017
- Application deadline September 8, 2017
- Three four-day in-person workshops in Boston MA: October 23-26, 2017, February 25-March 1, 2018, and June 11-14, 2018
- Monthly webinars between workshops
- For details see http://www.ihi.org/education/InPersonTraining/improvement-advisor/Pages/default.aspx
- Virtual Training
- Various online programs; see http://www.ihi.org/education/WebTraining/Pages/default.aspx
- Audio and Visual Programs
IHI will also sponsor two conferences on quality improvement in the US during 2017:
- Fall 2017 IHI Change Conference: Leading at the Edge
- Taught by current and former IHI CEOs
- October 30-31, 2017 in Cambridge MA
- See http://www.ihi.org/education/Conferences/fall-2017-ihi-change-conference/Pages/default.aspx
- IHI National Forum on Quality Improvement in Health Care
- December 10-13, 2017 in Orlando FL
- Deadline for poster proposals is September 29, 2017
- See http://www.ihi.org/education/Conferences/Forum2017/Pages/default.aspx
And two International Forums on Quality and Safety, in Malaysia in August 2017, and in South Africa in February 2018: see http://www.ihi.org/education/Conferences/Pages/default.aspx .
We’ve added a brochure to the Network 16 website called Improving Patient-Centered Care: About the In-Center Hemodialysis Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems Survey (ICH-CAHPS).
- Find the English version at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/qia2016/ICH-CAHPS-survey-N16-v3.pdf
- Find the Spanish version at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/qia2016/ICH-CAHPS-survey-n16-SPANISH-v2.pdf
We’re again using ICH-CAHPS as a major part of our 2017 Patient-Engagement Quality Improvement effort; for more information see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/qia/2017/ICH_CAHPS_QIA_Kickoff_021617.pdf .
For Network-18 versions of the brochure, call Eileen Boyte, MSW, Patient Services Director, at 888-268-1539.
The 2017 RSN Essay Contest is underway. Applicants have until August 10, 2017 to submit their entry of 750 or fewer words on the topic “Describe a positive decision that you have made about your healthcare.” First place winner receives $500. Find contest rules at http://www.rsnhope.org/essay-contest/contest-rules/ . Last year’s winners are posted at http://www.rsnhope.org/index.php?id=141 .
The Coalition for Compassionate Care of California invites professionals in palliative medicine and advance care planning to submit breakout session proposals for their April 10-11, 2018 CCCC 10th Annual Summit in Anaheim CA on Better Together: Forging a Path to Person-Centered Care. Proposals are due by July 14, 2017. For details see http://ccccsummit.org/cccc-annual-summit-call-for-presentations/ .
The Coalition for Compassionate Care of California will sponsor a June 29-30, 2017 training in Long Beach CA on POLST: It Starts with a Conversation, Train-the-Trainer. Find details at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/polst-it-starts-with-a-conversation-train-the-trainer-tickets-32924764858 . The POLST – Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment – paradigm is described at http://polst.org/about-the-national-polst-paradigm/ .