The Northwest Renal Dietitians will hold their 2016 Annual Conference near Portland March 3-4, 2016, hosted by the Oregon Council on Renal Nutrition. Topics will include advance planning, nutrition assessment, appetite, acidosis, Fe-based PO4-binders, K/P transplants, marijuana, behavior change, inflammation, and diabetes. For full details, including agenda, registration, accommodations, call for abstracts and posters, links to digital handouts, and stipend application (deadline December 31, 2015), see:
The FDA has warned that hydrophilic and/or hydrophobic coatings may separate (e.g., peel, flake, shed, delaminate, slough off) from intravascular medical devices and potentially cause serious injuries to patients. Coating separation can be caused by the difficulty of the procedure, patient’s anatomy, practitioner technique, using the wrong device for the procedure, improper preconditioning of the device, improper storage conditions, or issues with device design or manufacturing processes. The FDA provides a long list of cautions and recommendations, at http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/AlertsandNotices/ucm473794.htm .
The headline article in the November issue of Network 16 News is about the 2015 Exemplary Practice Awards (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2015/11/07/network-2015-exemplary-practice-awards/ ).
We’ve also included:
- A reminder that CMS requires all dialysis facilities to notify the Network when its operations are impacted by emergency events (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/report-all-disruptions-to-the-network/ )
- A note about patients who haven’t been showing up for dialysis. The Lost-to-Followup form mentioned in that note can be found at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrenalnetworkorg/net16/SW/LTF.pdf
- Notes about continuing education opportunities in early 2016:
- February Annual Dialysis Conference in Seattle; see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2015/10/02/adc-abstract-deadline-105/
- March NWRD Annual Conference; see http://nwrdonline.wix.com/nwrdonline#!2016-conference/c1op9. Watch this space in a few days for a notice about stipend applications, due December 31, 2015
- April NKF Spring Clinical Meetings; see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2015/11/19/stipends-to-scm16-for-social-workers/
Find the full edition at:
We’ve added the November Monthly Patient Flyer/Poster to the Network website. It celebrates National Family Caregivers Month, and we join the rest of the world in a bow of appreciation to all of the caregivers out there. Find this and all of our historical Monthly Patient Posters at:
If you have questions or suggestions for future Patient Flyers, please contact Patient Services Director Lisa Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The FDA has announced a Class II recall of almost 20,000 Baxter 15L Sterile Cycler Drainage Bags because of leakage. Find full details at:
The Kidney Community Emergency Response Coalition has announced three new Emergency Response resources, one on Terrorism, one on Emergency Preparedness for Kids, and one on Sheltering in Place during an Emergency, each in English and Spanish. Find them at:
- Emergency Preparedness Resources for Kids
- Shelter in Place during Emergencies
The slides from the November 19, 2015 CROWNWeb Town Hall on the new CROWNWeb Data Management Guidelines are now available at:
Keep up with CROWNWeb News and Town Hall Events at, respectively:
They haven’t announced it yet, but on December 17, 2015 they plan to hold a CROWNWeb Town Hall and CMS Community WebEx on “The ESRD QIP and You.” We’ll let you know when we get details.