The May 2017 Northwest Renal Network Patient Bulletin or Monthly Patient Flyer, titled “Dialysis News,” is about current and future advances in dialysis technology, including the wireless Outset Medical Tabio HD System that is designed for ease of use and remote monitoring, the web-based Baxter AMIA PD Cycler also designed for remote monitoring, and the implantable bioartificial kidneys being developed at the University of California, San Francisco and at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
The issue also includes a note about the free online My Life, My Dialysis Choice decision aid from MEI.
Find the NWRN Monthly Patient Flyers at https://www.nwrn.org/patients-a-family/ptedres/mon.html .
Medicare has published a Dialysis Facility Compare Social Media Toolkit brochure in three versions (for patients or consumers, for dialysis facilities, and for physicians) and two languages (English and Spanish). They provide graphic and text suggestions for sharing and promoting DFC on social media. Find copies of them at:
The UCLA UKEEP Kidney Education program has released its summer 2017 schedule. Sunday programs include:
- June 11, 2107 – Kidneys in Health and Disease: What You Should Know
- July 16, 2017 – Polycystic Kidney Disease
- August 13, 2017 – Kidney Transplant
- September 17, 2017 – Dialysis
RSVP is requested; for details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKeep17.pdf .
The May issue of Network 16 News is titled What to Know about HIPAA, and it includes a list of the 18 patient identifiers that, when any one or more of which are present, create Personally Identifiable information that must be protected according to HIPAA rules.
The “Question Corner” this month is about the most common patient concerns. The “Hot Dates” section lists the October 22, 2017 Network 16 Annual Quality Conference in Tukwila WA (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2017/05/04/nw-101-nw16-quality-conference/ ), and the September 23-25, 2017 ANNA Management & Leadership Conference sin Miami FL (see https://www.annanurse.org/events/nephrology-nursing-practice-management-leadership-conference ).
Find Network 16 News at https://www.nwrn.org/providers-and-professional-staff/nw16n.html .
The following message is from CMS.
If you are the victim of ransomware or have cyber threat indicators to share
If you or your organization is the victim of a ransomware attack, please contact law enforcement immediately.
- Contact your FBI Field Office Cyber Task Force, at https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/field-offices , immediately to report a ransomware event and request assistance. These professionals work with state and local law enforcement and other federal and international partners to pursue cyber criminals globally and to assist victims of cyber-crime.
- Report cyber incidents to both of the following:
- For further analysis and healthcare-specific indicator sharing, please also share these indicators with the HHS Healthcare Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (HCCIC) via email to HCCIC_RM@hhs.gov
Legacy Transplant Services will present a free May 18, 2017 class in Portland OR for patients, family, and others who want to learn about kidney transplantation and donation, called Is Kidney Transplant Right for You? The in-person class will be held at Legacy Good Samaritan hospital, and will simultaneously be presented as a webinar (with live Legacy Transplant staff) at the FMC Maywood Park Dialysis facility. RSVP requested. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/TransplantClass0517.pdf .
May 19, 2017 is National Hepatitis Testing Day, and May 2017 is National Hepatitis Awareness Month, to encourage testing for HCV and HBV. Find more information from CDC at https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/HepPromoResources.htm and additional resources on http://www.hepatitis.va.gov/campaign-hepatitis-awareness.asp and https://www.vaccines.gov/more_info/features/hepatitisawarenessmonth.html .