March is National Kidney Month, and its second Thursday – March 14 in 2019 – celebrates World Kidney Day. This year’s theme is Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere. Sources for more information and display materials include:
DID YOU KNOW?
Each year, kidney disease kills more people than breast or prostate cancer.
Help raise awareness of chronic kidney disease. Wear ORANGE on March 14th!
March is National Kidney Month! CMS and the ESRD Program invite you to be a part of a national campaign focusing on kidney health. To show your support, consider one of the following activities on March 14th (World Kidney Day):
- Wear an orange shirt, pants, dress, shoes, hair, etc. (be creative)
- Take a selfie or have someone take a picture of you in your orange gear
- Share information on your Twitter account about why all Americans should ask their doctors for a kidney checkup; Use #NationalKidneyMonth #Medicare
- Post your picture and short statement to your Facebook page; Make your post public and use #NationalKidneyMonth #Medicare
- Have fun with your posts
Show that you care! Share your National Kidney Month pictures on March 14th.
The UCLA Health CORE Kidney program will present a February 21, 2019 webinar on Living Kidney Donation. For details and pre-registration, see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/ucla022119.pdf.
UKEEP will host a February 24, 2019 workshop on Kidney Disease: What You Should Know in Santa Monica CA. See https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKEEP022419.pdf for details and RSVP information.
The CORE Kidney program will also present:
Find more information, and recordings of earlier CORE Kidney and UKEEP programs, at https://www.uclahealth.org/core-kidney/, along with information about the UCLA PKD program and other related educational outreach.
In addition to the Seattle Walk for PKD which we’ve already mentioned, Walks will also be held this fall in Portland, Los Angeles, and San Diego.
- San Diego, October 1, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1820&pg=entry .
- Seattle, October 1, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1766&pg=entry .
- Portland, October 7, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1780&pg=entry .
- Los Angeles, October 22, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1799&pg=entry .
The Seattle Chapter of the PKD Foundation will host an August 16, 2017 Coffee Chat in Factoria (Bellevue WA) to promote networking among people affected by PKD. The discussion is informal, but a topic or guest speaker is usual. For details and to sign up, see http://support.pkdcure.org/site/Calendar?view=Detail&id=101732 . These events are held more or less monthly; the next one will be September 10, 2017. Watch https://pkdcure.org/chapter/seattle/ for details.
The PKD Foundation will also sponsor an August 19, 2017 Seattle Friends & Family Potluck Picnic & Lemonade Stand, in Seward Park (Seattle). Find more information at http://support.pkdcure.org/site/Calendar?view=Detail&id=101846 .
The Foundation will also sponsor the three-mile Seattle Walk for PKD on October 1, 2017 at Green Lake (Seattle). For details, posters, to register for the Walk or the associated Penny Kids Dash, and to donate, see http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1766&pg=entry . So far they have pledges of $10,000 for the Walk, and they seek at lease $45,000 more to support PKD research and create better lives for those impacted by polycystic kidney disease.
The UCLA Kidney Education Enhancement Program (UKEEP) will present three free patient education programs this summer on:
- Polycystic Kidney Disease – July 16, 2017
- Kidney Transplant – August 13, 2017
- Dialysis – September 17, 2017
RSVP is requested. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKEEP789.17.pdf .
The UCLA UKEEP Kidney Education program has released its summer 2017 schedule. Sunday programs include:
- June 11, 2107 – Kidneys in Health and Disease: What You Should Know
- July 16, 2017 – Polycystic Kidney Disease
- August 13, 2017 – Kidney Transplant
- September 17, 2017 – Dialysis
RSVP is requested; for details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKeep17.pdf .
The UCLA Kidney Education Enhancement Program (UKEEP) will hold a September 18, 2016 educational seminar in Santa Monica for CKD and ESRD patients on the Role of Diet in Your Health. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKEEP.Nicole.pdf .
UKEEP will also host seminars on October 9 (Kidneys and Diabetes), November 13 (PKD), and December 11, 2016 (Living Kidney Donation); for information on these see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKeep.AugDec16.pdf .