UC Irvine Health will present a free March 16, 2019 World Kidney Day symposium in Orange, CA on Kidney health, featuring leading experts in Nephrology, Urology, Transplant, and Nutrition. Patients, providers, and community members are all invited to enjoy a day of education, health screenings, refreshments, and live entertainment. For details see https://twitter.com/IFKF_/status/1103801441846587392 and https://www.facebook.com/events/638668909886763/?notif_t=event_invite_reminder¬if_id=1551199891724380.
March is National Kidney Month, and its second Thursday – March 14 in 2019 – celebrates World Kidney Day. This year’s theme is Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere. Sources for more information and display materials include:
- World Kidney Day – https://www.worldkidneyday.org/
- NIDDK – https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/communication-programs/nkdep/get-involved/national-kidney-month
- NKDEP – https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/communication-programs/nkdep
- NKF – https://www.kidney.org/news/monthly/Focus_KidneyMonth
- PKD Foundation’s Four Challenges – https://connect.pkdcure.org/pkdchallenge2019/
DID YOU KNOW?
Each year, kidney disease kills more people than breast or prostate cancer.
Help raise awareness of chronic kidney disease. Wear ORANGE on March 14th!
March is National Kidney Month! CMS and the ESRD Program invite you to be a part of a national campaign focusing on kidney health. To show your support, consider one of the following activities on March 14th (World Kidney Day):
- Wear an orange shirt, pants, dress, shoes, hair, etc. (be creative)
- Take a selfie or have someone take a picture of you in your orange gear
- Share information on your Twitter account about why all Americans should ask their doctors for a kidney checkup; Use #NationalKidneyMonth #Medicare
- Post your picture and short statement to your Facebook page; Make your post public and use #NationalKidneyMonth #Medicare
- Have fun with your posts
Show that you care! Share your National Kidney Month pictures on March 14th.
The California Department of Public Health / Center for Health Care Quality / HAI Program / California Campaign to Prevent BSIs in Hemodialysis Patients will present a February 28, 2019 webinar on Practical Guidance for Using NHSN Dialysis Infection Data for Prevention. The webinar will be repeated on March 6, 2019. For details see https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/HAI/CDPH%20Document%20Library/2019DialysisWebinarPracticalNHSNGuidance_Approved02.19.19.pdf. Find extensive additional BSI-prevention resources for both facility staff and patients at https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CHCQ/HAI/Pages/CACampaignToPreventBSIinHemodialysisPatients.aspx.
NKF and PKG will present a March 3, 2019 Patient & Community Education Symposium in Portland OR on Lifestyle Makes a Difference: Controlling What You Can. Registration is recommended because space is limited. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/PKG/NKF.EdSym.PKG0319.pdf.
The UCLA Health CORE Kidney program will present a February 21, 2019 webinar on Living Kidney Donation. For details and pre-registration, see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/ucla022119.pdf.
UKEEP will host a February 24, 2019 workshop on Kidney Disease: What You Should Know in Santa Monica CA. See https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UKEEP022419.pdf for details and RSVP information.
The CORE Kidney program will also present:
- March 2, 2019 Diabetes Patient Conference; see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/UKEEP/UCLA.dm030219.pdf for details and pre-registration information
- March 10, 2019 UKEEP PKD Update
- March 21, 2019 webinar on PD
- April 11, 2019 webinar on Fabry’s Disease
- May 2 webinar on the Kidney Health Fair
- May 5, 2019 Kidney Heath Fair at the Beach and Spirit Walk; for more information see https://www.uclahealth.org/core-kidney/kidney-health-fair.
Find more information, and recordings of earlier CORE Kidney and UKEEP programs, at https://www.uclahealth.org/core-kidney/, along with information about the UCLA PKD program and other related educational outreach.
The AAKP will hold their 44th Annual National Patient Meeting September 6-8, 2019 in Washington DC, and celebrate their 50th Anniversary since founding. Early Bird registration, and its $50 discount, expires June 6, 2019. Scholarship applications will be accepted through July 1, 2019. First-come, first-served registration for discounted accommodations are available until the room block fills up, or until August 16, 2019. For details see https://aakp.org/national-patient-meeting/.
NKF and PKG will present a March 3, 2019 Patient & Community Education Symposium in Portland OR on Lifestyle Makes a Difference: Controlling What You Can. Early registration is recommended because space is limited. For details see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/PKG/NKF.EdSym.PKG0319.pdf.