CMS has published an MLN Matters on “Transition to New Medicare Numbers and Cards” that summarizes the NMC program, progress, and expectations. Find it at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNProducts/MLN-Publications-Items/ICN909365.html .
CMS has published an MLN Matters on “2017-2018 Influenza (Flu) Resources for Health Care Professionals.” Find it at https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/SE17026.pdf .
NKF and the Portland Kidney Group will hold their Annual Holiday Party for patients, family, and friends November 5, 2017 in Portland. For details, see below:
Donate Life Northwest will sponsor training, peer support, and mentorship for dialysis patients on living donation transplants, in Portland OR November 5, 12, and 19, 2017. They will also sponsor a training for mentors on October 7, 2017. See below for details:
The numbers are not large, but deaths are being reported from West Nile Virus, with northern Los Angeles County reporting relatively more. The CDC web page on West Nile includes mosquito reduction methods and links to EPA reviews of insecticides; find it at https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/ . In most cases your state and county health departments also have their own pages on West Nile, with local instructions for reporting dead birds, which are markers for surveillance of the disease.
CMS has announced a Request For Information soliciting suggestions on how to create an affordable, accessible healthcare system that puts patients first. Find details and comment at https://survey.max.gov/429625 .
In addition to the Seattle Walk for PKD which we’ve already mentioned, Walks will also be held this fall in Portland, Los Angeles, and San Diego.
- San Diego, October 1, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1820&pg=entry .
- Seattle, October 1, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1766&pg=entry .
- Portland, October 7, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1780&pg=entry .
- Los Angeles, October 22, 2017, http://support.pkdcure.org/site/TR/Walk/WalkforPKD?fr_id=1799&pg=entry .
In order to be considered in your QIP Performance Score, infection surveillance data for April through June 2017 must be entered, and corrections made, in NHSN by September 30, 2017. Entries into NHSN made after that date will not be sent to CMS. While you can find everything you need to know about NHSN for dialysis at https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/dialysis/event/index.html , CDC recommends these shortcuts:
- Review the Protocol to make sure you’re on the right page: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/pscManual/8pscDialysisEventcurrent.pdf
- Review your data: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/dialysis/3-steps-to-review-de-data-2014.pdf
- Verify that you’ve met the QIP requirements: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/dialysis/CMS-QIP-NHSN-report.pdf
- Review your facility’s BSI rates: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/dialysis/BSI-cheatsheet.pdf
Northwest Renal Network’s latest Network Consumer News issue is on “September Is National Emergency Preparedness Month.” It introduces the Kidney Community Emergency Response Coalition’s “KCER Prep Rally,” and includes a list of useful tips to make emergency preparedness easier and more effective. The issue is accompanied by a Spanish version, and a “Tell Us What You Think” feedback page in both English and Spanish. Find all of this at https://nwrn.org/patients-a-family/ptedres/ncn.html .
CMS and CROWNWeb have announced the topic for their September 28, 2017 Town Hall conference call, “Reinforcing Processes in the Wake of Natural Disasters,” featuring discussions on how CROWNWeb can track patients and provide essential information during disasters. Register at http://mycrownweb.org/pcw_community_events/crownweb-town-hall-reinforcing-processes-wake-natural-disasters/ .