Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) has released a draft of their new Transplant Candidate Guidelines for public comment until November 26, 2018. They will publish a final version after they have reviewed the comments. See https://kdigo.org/guidelines/transplant-candidate/ for details.
The Northwest Chapter of CNSW will hold their Fall 2018 Educational Conference in Issaquah WA on November 2, 2018. Topics include Bioethics, Transplant, and End of Life. The Conference offers six CEUs. Find details and register at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/CNSW/CNSW.FALL.2018.pdf. Use this form if registering via credit card: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/CNSW/CNSW.CE.Fall.2018.pdf.
The local chapters of ANNA, NANT, and NKF will present the Annual Renal Update 2018 conference in Irvine CA on 21 October 2018. Topics will include pediatric nephrology, medications, dialysis history, zero infections, extracorporeal circuits, transpants, fluid management, and patient care techncians. The conference fee will include eight CE hours, breakfast and lunch. For details and registration see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/ANNA/ANNA18.18.pdf – and don’t miss the map to the venue on page 2.
Registration without late fee for the October 11, 2018 Network 16 Annual Quality Conference near the Seattle airport ends September 30, 2018. On October 1 and later, registration is $25 higher. If you’ve already registered but you’re no longer able to attend, your right to a refund also expires on September 30.
The agenda includes sessions on Innovation in Dialysis, Person-Centered Care, Home Dialysis, Disaster Preparedness, Transplants, and Mentoring. The Conference fee includes 6 CEs for nurses, social workers, techs, and dietitians, plus continental breakfast, refreshments, and lunch. Find the Agenda at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/QC2018/2018QCAgenda.pdf, and register at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07efe2a3np27c59239&llr=hakkwkrab.
The ESRD National Coordinating Center will present three additional August QIA Learning and Action Network webinars:
- Home Modality August 14, 2018; see https://esrdncc.org/en/events/20182/august-20182/home-modality-qia-lan/?date=8/1/2018.
- Transplant August 21, 2018; see https://esrdncc.org/en/events/20182/august-20182/transplant-qia-lan/?date=8/1/2018.
- Patient Experience of Care August 22, 2018; see https://esrdncc.org/en/events/20182/august-20182/patient-experience-of-care-peoc-lan/?date=8/1/2018.
The ESRD NCC calendar is kept at https://esrdncc.org/en/events/.
CMS has released the proposed ESRD QIP Technical Specifications for PY2021, 2022, and 2024. Proposed changes include:
- Elimination of Pain Assessment (NOT Depression Screening as indicated earlier), NHSN Healthcare Personnel Vaccination, Anemia Management, and Serum Phosphorous in PY2021.
- New measures for Medication Reconciliation Reporting and Existing-Patient Transplant Waitlist for PY2022.
- A new measure for Incident-Patient Transplant Waitlist in PY2024.
CMS has released a proposed rule for the CY2019 ESRD PPS, titled Proposed Updates to Policies and Payment Rates for the ESRD PPS, … QIP; and Payment for Renal Dialysis Services Furnished to Individuals with AKI and a fact sheet summarizing it. The ellipsis in the title refers to durable medical equipment changes included in the same proposed rule. Find the fact sheet at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2018-Fact-sheets-items/2018-07-11.html.
The fact sheet includes summaries of:
- Removing the Healthcare Personnel Vaccination, Pain Assessment, Anemia Management, and Serum Phosphorus reporting measures from the PY2021 QIP.
- Restructuring domains and weights in the PY2021 QIP.
- Expanding NHSN validation in both PY2021 and PY2022.
- Adding measures for Percentage of Patients Waitlisted and Medication Reconciliation to the PY2022 QIP.
- Adding a measure on Standardized First Transplant Waitlist Ratio for Incident Patients to the PY2024 QIP.
The proposed rule can be found on the Federal Register at https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2018-14986.pdf. Comments must be received by September 10, 2018.