The University of Virginia Kidney Donation & Transplant Conference will be held in Charlottesville VA June 29, 2017. The Conference is designed to educate dialysis facility staff to enable them to provide accurate information to patients regarding renal transplantation. Nurses can earn up to 5.5 contact hours for participation. For details see http://files.constantcontact.com/12fb86c8001/8d5b702e-b007-4d04-8f28-879da39d8aba.pdf .
The American Foundation for Donation and Transplantation will hold their 9th Annual Living Donation Conference in Clearwater FL May 24-26, 2017, on the topic Essential Donor Team Concepts for Entry Level & Experienced Practitioners. Invitees include:
- Independent Living Donor Advocates for all clinical disciplines
- Living Donor Coordinators
- Social Workers
- Physician leaders, Administrators and Managers for programs with living donor teams
- Quality and Compliance Staff
For details see http://www.amfdt.org/pdf/Florida_May2017%20Flyer.pdf .
The Saddleback Kidney Support Group will present an Educational Seminar on Revitalization of the UCI Kidney/Pancreas Transplant Program March 12, 2017 in Mission Viejo CA. Medical Director Uttam Reddy, MD and key transplant team members will describe how they have revamped the UC Irvine program. Patients, dialysis facility staff, and nephrologists are invited. RSVP requested. For details see http://www.esrdnetwork18.org/docs-events/UCI_Transplant_Revitilization.pdf .
ANNA Greater Puget Sound Chapter 503 will host the Renal Update 2017 conference in Lynnwood WA on March 2-3, 2017. Topics include htn, hospitalization reduction, medical marijuana, vascular access, peritonitis, poverty, living donation, pediatric PD and AKI, ethics, dialysis outcomes, Ca/PO4/PTH, and challenging personalities. There will be no on-site or mail-in registration, so registration must be completed online by 11:30 pm PST on February 23, 2017. There is a discount for registration completed before 11:30 pm PST January 20, 2017. For the full agenda and registration details, see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/2017RenalUpdate.pdf .
The NKF Professional Education Resource Center or PERC is offering a new online continuing-education course, and a new live webinar, for renal professionals:
- Navigating Health Insurance: How Public Options, Private Coverage and Charitable Assistance Can Work Together for ESRD Patients, webinar, January 17, 2017, CE credits for nurses/technicians, dietitians, social workers; more information and registration at http://education.kidney.org/content/navigating-health-insurance-how-public-options-private-coverage-and-charitable-assistance
- Ready..Set..Wait: The Time Between Listing and Transplant, online course on supporting patients through this passage, CE credits for social workers; more information and registration at http://education.kidney.org/content/ready%E2%80%A6set%E2%80%A6wait%E2%80%A6-time-between-listing-and-transplant
CMS has published a new rule in the Federal Register pertaining to Conditions for Coverage for ESRD Facilities – Third Party Payment. Comments can be made until January 11, 2017. The new Conditions will be effective January 13, 2017. Because CMS has determined that current practices can significantly harm patients, they have shortened both the public comment period and the effective date of the rule. Find the new rule at https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/14/2016-30016/medicare-program-conditions-for-coverage-for-end-stage-renal-disease-facilities-third-party-payment .
NKF offers a number of webinars under their Professional Education Resource Center or PERC, many of which offer free continuing education credits for multiple disciplines. Some examples:
- Social Work Collaboration for Transplant Patients
- Evidence-Based Social Work
- Anemia and Cardiovascular Disease
- Nephropathic Cystinosis
- Western Diets: Are We Killing Our Patients?
- Ethical Issues When Family Interferes with Transplant
- Blood Pressure Monitoring
- Cardiometabolic Diseases
- Living Kidney Donations
- Early Detection and Prevention
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Hepatitis C
- Mineral and Bone Disorder
- Minorities, Transplant, and Home Dialysis
- ESRD Core Survey
- Depression and Pain
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Lipid Management
- Journal of Renal Nutrition articles
See http://education.kidney.org/courses for information and registration.