CMS has published details on the July 19, 2018 QIP Webinar, which will be repeated on July 23, 2018. The webinars will provide the basics of how to use the ESRD QIP system, including how to effectively submit a Clarification Question and a Formal Inquiry, if needed, prior to the end of the Preview Period. For details and registration, see:
CDC has issued a Health Alert Network or HAN bulletin on the Rising Numbers of Deaths Involving Fentanyl and Fentanyl Analogs, Including Carfentanil, and Increased Usage and Mixing with Non-opioids. Find the bulletin at https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCDC/bulletins/1fde19f.
The QIP webinar today contained several new pieces of information about soon-to-be-announced QIP-related issues:
- CMS will soon announce hour-long July 19 and 23, 2018 webinars on the QIP 4.0 System. They will be held at 11am PDT on those days; save the date(s). The sessions will cover access, use, reports, PSRs, Clarifying Questions, and Formal Inquiries.
- Publication of the PY2019 ESRD QIP Users Guide is expected by July 13, 2018.
- The ESRD PPS Preview Period will end at 11:59 pm PDT on August 23, 2018.
CMS has released a proposed rule for the CY2019 ESRD PPS, titled Proposed Updates to Policies and Payment Rates for the ESRD PPS, … QIP; and Payment for Renal Dialysis Services Furnished to Individuals with AKI and a fact sheet summarizing it. The ellipsis in the title refers to durable medical equipment changes included in the same proposed rule. Find the fact sheet at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2018-Fact-sheets-items/2018-07-11.html.
The fact sheet includes summaries of:
- Removing the Healthcare Personnel Vaccination, Pain Assessment, Anemia Management, and Serum Phosphorus reporting measures from the PY2021 QIP.
- Restructuring domains and weights in the PY2021 QIP.
- Expanding NHSN validation in both PY2021 and PY2022.
- Adding measures for Percentage of Patients Waitlisted and Medication Reconciliation to the PY2022 QIP.
- Adding a measure on Standardized First Transplant Waitlist Ratio for Incident Patients to the PY2024 QIP.
The proposed rule can be found on the Federal Register at https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2018-14986.pdf. Comments must be received by September 10, 2018.
NHSN will present four ESRD Component trainings during August 2018. Listen-only audio for these will be available through your computer’s speakers. If you need audio via telephone, the dial-in number for all sessions is 303-248-0285 (toll), with access code 6393927.
- Introduction to the NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Protocol will be held on August 7, 2018 and repeated on August 8, to provide details necessary to meet the ESRD QIP requirements for NHSN reporting and BSI monitoring. Registration is required at:
- Advanced NHSN Dialysis Event Surveillance Reporting and Introduction to NHSN Reports will be held on August 14, 2018 and repeated on August 15. Register at:
The FDA has required new label warnings about blood sugar and mental health side effects of fluoroquinolone antibiotic drugs. The most common fluoroquinolones are Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Avelox (moxifloxacin), and Levaquin (levofloxacin), but there are many others, most of which end in -floxacin. The new label has many specific warnings and recommendations for diabetics. For full details see https://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm612979.htm.