USF Health and the International Society for Peritoneal Dialysis will present two one-day courses for surgeons and interventionalists on PD catheter placement on March 4-5, 2019 in Aurora CO. The courses consist of didactic lectures followed by comprehensive hands-on workshops, covering the entire process of PD catheter placement including exit site selection, laparoscopic implantation, exteriorization, and dressing.
The CDC has announced that US Antibiotic Awareness Week is November 12–18, 2018. Antibiotics are life-saving drugs and critical tools for treating infections like those that can lead to sepsis. However, when antibiotics aren’t needed, they won’t help you, and the side effects could still cause harm. Additionally, any time antibiotics are used in people or animals, they can lead to antibiotic resistance. Everyone has a role to play to improve antibiotic prescribing and use. CDC recommends four ways to participate in Antibiotic Awareness Week:
- Use and share Be Antibiotics Aware educational materials, including graphics for print and social media from CDC’s national educational effort to keep patients safe, decrease adverse drug events, and help fight antibiotic resistance. See https://www.cdc.gov/features/antibioticuse/index.html.
- Make a commitment to The AMR Challenge. Join leaders worldwide to combat antibiotic resistance by improving antibiotic use, including ensuring access to these drugs globally. See https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/intl-activities/amr-challenge.html.
- Join the Global Twitter Storm on Thurs., November 15 from 9-10 am ET using the hashtag #AntibioticResistance. Use social media to spark conversation throughout the week using #USAAW18 and #BeAntibioticsAware.
- Follow CDC’s Safe Healthcare Blog for daily stories on Antibiotic Awareness; see https://blogs.cdc.gov/safehealthcare/.
This annual one-week observance helps raise awareness of the importance of appropriate antibiotic use to combat the threat of antibiotic resistance. CDC is a global leader in efforts to improve antibiotic prescribing and use practices. Improving the way we prescribe and take antibiotics helps keep us healthy now, helps fight antibiotic resistance, and ensures that these life-saving drugs will be available for future generations.
The Renal Support Network presents a KidneyTalk podcast on Bon Voyage: Dialysis on the High Seas, about dialysis and traveling. Find the podcast and links to prior KidneyTalk podcasts, at https://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk/bon-voyage-dialysis-on-the-high-seas/.
AAKP will host a November 20, 2018 HealthLine webinar on Are you at risk for secondary hyperparathyroidism? Learn the importance of early detection. Register at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/4528789833237970433. For more information and recordings of past HealthLine webinars, see https://aakp.org/aakp-healthline/.
The National Center for Environmental Health will present a webinar on Are you Rad-Savvy? Applying Crisis and Emergency Risk Communication Principles in a Nuclear/Radiological Disaster, at 10:30 am PST on November 15, 2018. The webinar will cover how to apply emergency communications principles in a nuclear or radiological disaster. Find the webinar at https://adobeconnect.cdc.gov/rohmmm7xth21/. To join by telephone, call 888-677-5809 with Participant ID 8130407.
ESRD Network 16 is recruiting for new volunteers to serve on our Patient Advisory Committee (PAC). PAC members:
- Advise on Network education and outreach
- Assist with Network Quality Improvement Activity design and interventions
- Meet with Medicare (CMS) on conference calls to provide feedback from a patient perspective
Most PAC activities are conducted by phone call and email, though there are occasional opportunities for in person meetings. Any travel to in-person meetings will be funded by the Network.
Please share the Informational Flyer at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/PAC/Nw16PACFlyer1118.pdf, and the Application form at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/PAC/Nw16PACForm1118.pdf, with patients and care partners in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington that might be interested. Application forms are due to the Network by November 26, 2018.