The September 30, 2018 deadline for entering or editing NHSN data for QIP credit has been extended to October 1, 2018.
CMS will hold a September 20, 2018 Open Door Forum webinar on the Medicare tools that will assist beneficiaries during the upcoming Medicare Open Enrollment period. For details and registration see https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-medicare-education-program-nmep-webinar-registration-48651184001.
We’ve added to the Emergency Preparedness page of the Network 16 website a resource from the USC Dept. of Nursing on What Can Chronically Ill Patients Do to Brace for Natural Disasters? Find our Preparedness page at https://www.nwrn.org/emergency-prep.html, and the USC resource at https://nursing.usc.edu/blog/chronic-conditions-natural-disaster/.
September is National Preparedness Month. Find relevant Resources at:
CMS has begun mailing New Medicare Cards to beneficiaries in Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Mailings are already complete to California, Oregon, and Alaska. For more information see:
CMS is seeking public comment on a Proposed Rule for Medicare and Medicaid Programs; Regulatory Provisions to Promote Program Efficiency, Transparency, and Burden Reduction. Comments will be due sixty days after the Proposed Rule is published in the Federal Register, probably around November 20, 2018. A pre-publication copy of the Proposed Rule can be found at https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2018-19599.pdf. A quick and not exhaustive scan of the Proposal finds matters relevant to Transplant Centers at p.13, pp.69ff, 129ff, 183ff, 243ff, and 274ff, and matters relevant to Dialysis Facilities at pp.85-86, p.101, pp.104ff, 110-111, 142ff, 203ff, 217ff, and 281ff.
Registration without late fee for the October 11, 2018 Network 16 Annual Quality Conference near the Seattle airport ends September 30, 2018. On October 1 and later, registration is $25 higher. If you’ve already registered but you’re no longer able to attend, your right to a refund also expires on September 30.
The agenda includes sessions on Innovation in Dialysis, Person-Centered Care, Home Dialysis, Disaster Preparedness, Transplants, and Mentoring. The Conference fee includes 6 CEs for nurses, social workers, techs, and dietitians, plus continental breakfast, refreshments, and lunch. Find the Agenda at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/QC2018/2018QCAgenda.pdf, and register at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07efe2a3np27c59239&llr=hakkwkrab.
The ANNA Chapter 503 Fall Workshop will be held in Seattle on September 29, 2018, but online pre-registration is required by September 21, 2019. There will be no on-site or by-mail registration. Topics include Learning Cultures, HD Case Studies, Marijuana, AKI, PD Catheter Placement, Gn, and Ethics. 7.2 CE are available. For more information see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/ANNA/ANNA503Fall.pdf. Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/anna-503-fall-renal-workshop-2018-tickets-47333611105, and find directions to the Workshop venue at http://www.seattlechildrens.org/contact/main-hospital/map/. Parking is free in Lot 1; follow walkway to “River” Entrance.
News about Coalition for Compassionate Care of California events:
- September 25, 2018*: Pediatric Webinar Series: Transitioning Adolescents into Adult Care webinar. For details and registration see https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pediatric-webinar-series-transitioning-adolescents-into-adult-care-tickets-43993853801?mc_cid=9688cbc52e&mc_eid=67e1ad4c31.
- September 27, 2018*: End of Life Option Act: Learnings from California’s Experience webinar. For details and registration see https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/1154324874371036930?mc_cid=9688cbc52e&mc_eid=67e1ad4c31.
- October 2, 2018: Compassion in Action, When East Meets West, Sacramento, Chinese American Coalition for Compassionate Care; free seminar, lunch provided. RSVP by September 26, 2018. See http://www.caccc-usa.org/?mc_cid=9688cbc52e&mc_eid=67e1ad4c31.
- October 18, 2018*: Pediatric Webinar Series: Deep in the Weeds, Medical Marijuana and Pediatric Palliative Care webinar, For details and registration see https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pediatric-webinar-series-deep-in-the-weeds-medical-marijuana-and-pediatric-palliative-care-tickets-48706566652?mc_cid=9688cbc52e&mc_eid=67e1ad4c31.
- April 8-9, 2019: CCCC Annual Summit, San Francisco, for everyone who wants to learn more about palliative care, share innovative practices and be part of a growing movement to improve the care of seriously ill people of all ages. For details see http://ccccsummit.org/?mc_cid=9688cbc52e&mc_eid=67e1ad4c31.
* Check with CCCC about times for these webinars; their bulletin says PST, but the rest of California is on PDT, so it’s hard to say which they intend.
CDC has issued a HAN Health Alert advising that travelers returning from northern Israel have been coming back with leptospirosis, a bacterial disease that among other results can cause kidney failure. For details see https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCDC/bulletins/20ba899.
The Forum of ESRD Networks will present a webinar for patients highlighting the new Dialysis Patient Depression Toolkit, which was developed by patients for patients. The October 4, 2018 webinar, Depression & Dialysis: Removing the Stigma & Strengthening our Mental Health, includes presenters from AAKP and NKF. Find details at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/P/Dialysis.Depression1.pdf and register at https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5681662958097152769. This is a national webinar with limited capacity, so register early. The Dialysis Patient Depression Toolkit itself can be found at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/P/DepressionToolkit.pdf. A second webinar, for care providers and facilities, is being developed for early 2019.