Home Dialysis Central has published a blog post on Staff Orientation to Psychosocial Needs of People with Kidney Failure. In it Beth Witten, https://homedialysis.org/news-and-research/blog/310-staff-orientation-to-psychosocial-needs-of-people-with-kidney-failure.as the clinic social worker, [how would you] provide an orientation for new staff to help them understand the patients they would be working with, explain [your] role, and let them know how [you] could help them.” It’s a comprehensive and impressive post. Find it at
The Renal Support Network has published a podcast on Tips for Home Dialysis Success. Find it at https://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk/tips-for-home-dialysis-success/. This website also includes links to a Spanish version, to the Home Dialysis Central blog, and to a number of previous kidney-related podcasts.
The Renal Support Network has published a podcast on Pain Management for Those Who Have Kidney Disease. Find the podcast at https://www.rsnhope.org/kidneytalk/kidney-disease-and-pain-management/.
The ANNA Special Practice Networks have published a series of several-page Fact Sheets on a number of topics:
- Peritoneal Dialysis Fact Sheet at https://www.annanurse.org/download/reference/practice/pdFactSheet.pdf.
- Pediatric Peritoneal Dialysis Fact Sheet at https://www.annanurse.org/download/reference/practice/pedPDFactSheet.pdf.
- AKI Fact Sheet on Clinical Issues at https://www.annanurse.org/download/reference/practice/akiClinicalFactSheet.pdf.
- AKI Fact Sheet on Financial/Payment/Billing Issues at https://www.annanurse.org/download/reference/practice/akiFinancialFactSheet.pdf.
CMS has added a new Appendix X to their State Operations Manual, detailing Interpretive Guidance and Survey Protocols for Organ Transplant Program Conditions for Participation, effective May 24, 2019. Find a copy at https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Transmittals/2019Downloads/R189SOMA.pdf.
CMS has issued an informative Q&A on the May 2019 Refresh of Dialysis Facility Compare. Find the Q&A at https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/End-Stage-Renal-Disease/ESRDGeneralInformation/Downloads/DFC-May-2019-Refresh-Q-A.pdf, and DFC at https://www.medicare.gov/dialysisfacilitycompare/.
The UCLA Core Kidney Program has announced three new webinars and a patient-education meeting. For more information see https://www.uclahealth.org/core-kidney/upcoming-events.
- June 13, 2019: Peritoneal Dialysis – A Patient’s Experience webinar. Register at https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07egbezn4e6837e5bc&oseq=&c=&ch=.
- July 11, 2019: Alport Syndrome webinar. Check the uclahealth.org link above in mid-June for registration.
- July 14, 2019: High Blood Pressure – What You Should Know UKEEP patient-education meeting. See the uclahealth.org link above for more information and the RSVP phone number.
- August 8, 2019: Labs – What You Should Know webinar. Check the uclahealth.org link above in mid-July for registration.