CDC’s comprehensive resources on Applying CDC’s Guideline for Prescribing Opioids: An Online Training Series for Healthcare Providers can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/training/online-training.html.
CMS has published “Myths and Facts” about their new Medicare Part D Opioid Overutilization Policies that became effective effective January 1, 2019 (https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/RxUtilization.html).
Myth: “Medicare is forcing all Part D enrollees to taper prescription opioids below a certain amount.”
- Prescribers and their patients must carefully consider decisions to taper or stop prescription opioids
- It can be especially challenging to taper opioid use in patients who have been on high dosages of opioids for many years
- The intent of the new opioid policies is to address opioid overuse without a negative impact on the patient-doctor relationship
- Medicare Part D opioid policies are not prescribing limits
- In general they do not apply to enrollees who have cancer; get hospice, palliative, or end-of-life care; or who live in a long-term care facility
- The new policies encourage collaboration and care coordination among Medicare drug plans, pharmacies, prescribers, and patients to improve opioid management, prevent opioid misuse, and promote safer prescribing practices.
For More Information see:
- Opioid Roadmap (https://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Agency-Information/Emergency/Downloads/Opioid-epidemic-roadmap.pdf)
- Letter to providers about reducing opioid misuse (https://www.cms.gov/About-CMS/Story-Page/Opioid-Provider-Letter-Feb-2019.pdf)
- Prescriber’s Guide to New Medicare Part D Opioid Overutilization Policies for 2019 MLN Matters Article (https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Medicare-Learning-Network-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/Downloads/SE18016.pdf)
- Training materials for
- Prescribers (https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-Coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/Downloads/Information-for-Prescribers.zip)
- Pharmacists (https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-Coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/Downloads/Information-for-Pharmacists.zip)
- Patients (https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-Coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/Downloads/Information-for-Patients.zip)