A recording of the January 9, 2017 Network Council Call has been placed on the Northwest Renal Network website, along with a pdf of the slides from the webinar. The call described the current Network contract structure and obligations, with emphasis on this year’s Quality Improvement Activities and CROWNWeb requirements and protocols. Find the recording at https://healthinsight.adobeconnect.com/p6sn4hjkmow/?proto=true and the slides at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/qia/2017/2017NW16NetworkCouncilPresentationFinal.pdf .
ANNA Greater Puget Sound Chapter 503 will host the Renal Update 2017 conference in Lynnwood WA on March 2-3, 2017. Topics include htn, hospitalization reduction, medical marijuana, vascular access, peritonitis, poverty, living donation, pediatric PD and AKI, ethics, dialysis outcomes, Ca/PO4/PTH, and challenging personalities. There will be no on-site or mail-in registration, so registration must be completed online by 11:30 pm PST on February 23, 2017. There is a discount for registration completed before 11:30 pm PST January 20, 2017. For the full agenda and registration details, see https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/nwrn.org/files/N/2017RenalUpdate.pdf .
CMS has published changes to DFC, detailed at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-10-28.html . ICH-CAHPS, Standardized BSI Ratio (SIR), and Pediatric PD Kt/V have been added to DFC, but not to the Star Ratings. Changes have been made to the way the Star Ratings are calculated, and adjustments have been made to the way the Vascular Access, Kt/V, Standardized Readmission Ratio (SRR), and Hypercalcemia components of the Star Ratings are measured. All of these changes are included in the DFC update made October 28, 2016.
CMS has published the final version of the QIP for CY2017 and PY2019-20, summarized at https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-10-28-2.html . Major changes include:
- Changes for CY2017 include adjustments to the Outlier Policy, Home/Self-Dialysis Training Add-On Payment, and Acute Kidney Injury provisions.
- PY2019 will see two NHSN measures – DE reporting and BSI clinical – combined into a new Patient Safety Domain, and substantive changes to the Hypercalcemia clinical measure.
- For PY2020, the Standardized Hospitalization Rate clinical measure and Ultrafiltration Rate reporting measure will be added, and the Mineral Metabolism reporting measure will be replaced by a reporting measure for Serum Phosphorus.
CMS has discovered an error in the calculation of the Standardized Readmission Ratio (SRR) that affects most facilities. The measure has been recalculated and is available for preview in your facility’s
- DFC: Quarterly DFC Preview for October Report
- DFR: FY 2017 Dialysis Facility Report
on https://www.DialysisData.org . The footer of these Reports will note the August 2016 production date.
Some planned readmissions were inadvertently excluded. In the recalculation, 11% of facilities nationwide show an absolute difference in SRR of more than 0.05. About 100 facilities changed SRR category on DFC. Use the Comments & Inquiries tab on https://www.DialysisData.org if you have questions on the SRR recalculation.
Because of this error, the Preview Period will be extended to August 19 at 5 PM ET to allow review of the updated Reports. The SRR information is the only change to the Reports. Refer to https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/815-dfcdfr-comments-due/ for more instructions if necessary.
We’ve published the August issue of Network 16 News, which includes articles and links on:
- ESRD PPS and QIP Proposed Rules (for more details see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/84-816-qip-py2020-calls/ )
- NHSN Training Webinars (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2016/08/02/811-nhsn-training/ )
- Wound Care Webinar (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/diabetic-foot-ulcer-webinar/ )
- Question Corner on surveyor citations for unauthorized changes to dialysis prescriptions
- Hot Dates:
- August 28, 2016: PKG/NKF Summer Kidney Wellness Fair & Picnic, Portland OR (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/nw-new-2016-pkg-calendar/ )
- September 22-25, 2016: AAKP 42nd National Patient Meeting, Nashville TN (see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2016/05/25/scholarshipsregistration-for-aakp-convention/ )
- October 16, 2016: Mid-Columbia Nephrology Seminar, Richland WA (save the date: details to follow)
Find the August Network 16 News at https://www.nwrn.org/providers-and-professional-staff/nw16n.html .
On July 18, 2016 we hosted an exciting webinar presented by international expert Dr. Barbara Bates-Jensen on Reducing Hospitalizations through Better Wound Care Management. Dr. Bates-Jensen described how better screening, detection, assessment and management of wounds can help to reduce hospitalizations, infections and decrease mortality. Find a recording of the webinar at https://healthinsight.adobeconnect.com/p7ux6x1ljsk/ . Access this and other presentations on the Network 16 website at https://www.nwrn.org/providers-and-professional-staff/quality-improvement/qilan/2016-qias.html .