Bob Crabtree and Don Chriscaden, founders of The Road Back to Life, are starting a Zoom kidney patient support group on December 1, 2020 at 2pm PST, with a calendar of future meetings to be posted. By way of introduction, Don says, “This is intended to be a time when we can feel free to talk about anything, from just saying hello to discussing what life has brought your way. This will be a time to talk to friends or make new friends in an informal environment. Let us learn to talk to people and laugh, cry or whatever is appropriate again.” Join the meeting at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88934911182.
The ESRD National Coordinating Center will present an October 8, 2020 webinar at noon PDT on The Kidney Caregiver Peer Connection Call. Too often the only person that can understand what you’re going through is someone who’s been there. The webinar is open to caregivers and patients who are affected by CKD, and offers strategies for wellness and support from fellow caregivers and care partners. To listen to the presentation, call 844-740-1264 and enter access code 133 121 4744. Find the video (without sound) by clicking HERE and enter Webex event number 133 121 4744 and password Peer2020! (including the exclamation point at the end).
CMS has prepared a press release summarizing the steps that Medicare has taken in Oregon to help make health care available to wildfire victims, including opening special enrollment periods to allow out-of-season initiations or changes to Medicare coverage, various kinds of assistance to healthcare facilities, and help to displaced dialysis patients. Find the press release at https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cms-offers-comprehensive-support-oregon-due-wildfires.
The ESRD NCC’s COVID-19 half-hour “Quickinars” have morphed to one-hour webinars. The September webinars include:
- For patients, September 8, 2020 – Choosing a Kidney Transplant during COVID-19, 1-2 pm PDT.
- For providers, September 16, 2020 – Living in a Multi-Generational Household, noon-1 pm PDT.
For details and registration, see https://esrdncc.org/en/covid-19/covid-webinars/. You can also find links to recordings of previous webinars there.
Quality Insights (ESRD Network 5), the Coalition for Supportive Care of Kidney Patients, and the Medical Technology & Practice Patterns Institute will present a free August 20, 2020 webinar, repeating it August 26, on Maintaining Emotional Balance in an Unbalancing Time. The webinar will discuss how providers can respond to dialysis patients and their families when they encounter hard questions and emotional distress about COVID-19, including strategies for responding to anxiety and fear, the dialysis facility as a source of stability, and ways to honor the memory of patients who have passed. Free CE credits will be available. Register for the August 20 session at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CSCKP8202020 or the August 26 session at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CSCKP08262020. See below for details:
Employment Options, an authorized Employment Network in the SSA Ticket to Work Program, will present a free conference call and online slide show on July 30, 2020 at noon PDT on Work From Home Job Tips: What You Need To Know! Topics will include Work At Home challenges, mental and physical aspects, technology requirements, resume tips, Work At Home job examples and new industries, protecting yourself from scams, and new hire expectations. Register, peruse recordings of past presentations, and sign up for their email bulletins at https://www.myemploymentoptions.com/webinar-registration-page/. The presentation includes an audio portion that’s open to an unlimited number of attendees, and a limited-capacity online slide show that can accommodate only the first 250 registered attendees to log in on July 30. Instructions will be sent to you when you register.
Employment Options is also available daily to help SSDI/SSI disability benefit recipients return to work in the free SSA Ticket to Work Program. EO offers both Work At Home and onsite jobs in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. For more information see https://www.myemploymentoptions.com/apply-now/. The web page includes resources and links for people in California and Alaska or who otherwise are not qualified for the Ticket to Work Program.
Starting next week, the ESRD NCC’s COVID-19 calls are moving from weekly to fortnightly, and from half-hour “Quickinars” to one-hour webinars. The Tuesday patient webinars will be held August 11 and 25, 2020 at 1pm PDT, and the Wednesday provider webinars will be held August 5 and 19 at noon PDT. For descriptions of the current webinars and registration, see https://esrdncc.org/en/covid-19/covid-webinars/. You can also find links to recordings of previous webinars there.
The University of Michigan KECC is conducting an ESRD Patient Reported Outcomes Quality Initiative Project Patient Life Goals Study, and seeks dialysis patients at least 18 years old to answer a new Survey that asks about your individual life goals and your dialysis facility care team. Life goals are personal goals that you think are important to achieve, such as having the ability to go to work, go to school, travel, or spend time with family. The Study aims to improve the odds that your care team will consider your individual life goals in the treatment planning process. Find an introductory letter and the Survey at https://redcapproduction.umms.med.umich.edu/surveys/index.php?s=DT4N3P48AC. There’s an easy-to-miss check box at the bottom of this page, which you have to check before the Survey questions appear. The Survey doesn’t seem to specify an expiration date.
A number of organizations are hosting weekly webinars on COVID-19. These include:
- ESRD NCC half-hour “Quickinars” for providers and patients. Find more information, recordings of past Quickinars, and register for current presentations at https://esrdncc.org/quickinars:
- Tuesday May 26, 2020 patient Quickinar on Combating Uncertainty and Fear in the COVID-19 Era (En Español), presented by a PD patient, Network Ambassador, and patient and family engagement SME. She will share how Spanish-speaking patients are coping with fears surrounding COVID-19, and Provide links to COVID-19 information in Spanish.
- Wednesday May 27, 2020 provider Quickinar on COVID-19 Communication – Quick Tips to Connect, presented by the Director of Outreach and Development for the non-profit Academy of Communication in Healthcare, Editor-in-Chief for the Journal of Patient Experience, and Assistant Clinical Professor at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine.
- Coalition for Supportive Care of Kidney Patients half-hour of Open Discussion for Professional Providers Wednesday May 27, 2020 – see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2020/04/01/4-1-weekly-staff-support-calls/.
- CMS Stakeholder Engagement Call for Dialysis Providers Wednesday May 27, 2020, call 833-614-0820, passcode 6152699, audio webcast link https://engage.vevent.com/index.jsp?eid=5779&seid=2123#/main/simplify.
- They also offer Tuesday May 26, 2020 “Office Hours” for general Medicare questions, and Lessons from the Front Lines on Friday May 29, 2020. For details, including recordings of past events, see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2020/04/20/4-21-cms-shareholder-engagement-calls/.
- This week’s Wednesday May 27, 2020 Coalition for Compassionate Care of California hour-long COVID Conversations is dedicated to Skilled Nursing facilities; see https://mailchi.mp/coalitionccc.org/no-one-should-die-alone-on-the-street-746076?e=67e1ad4c31. For weekly details and registration, recordings of past events, and additional resources, see https://coalitionccc.org/covid-conversations-education/.
A number of organizations are hosting weekly webinars on COVID-19. These include:
- ESRD NCC half-hour “Quickinars” for providers and patients at 2 pm PDT. Find more information, recordings of past Quickinars, and register for current presentations at https://esrdncc.org/quickinars:
- Tuesday May 19, 2020 patient Quickinar on Caregiving During COVID-19: Tips from Kidney Caregivers, presented by a caregiver and a Network Patient Services Director.
- Wednesday May 20, 2020 provider Quickinar on What to Do and Say to Support Psychological Safety During the COVID-19 Pandemic, presented by a nurse who uses “a human-centered co-design approach [as] she works with healthcare leaders to generate flourishing cultures and exceptional outcomes by integrating patient/family experience, quality, safety, and joy in work.”
- Coalition for Supportive Care of Kidney Patients half-hour of Open Discussion for Professional Providers at 11:30 am PDT Wednesday May 20, 2020 – see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2020/04/01/4-1-weekly-staff-support-calls/.
- CMS Stakeholder Engagement Call for Dialysis Providers at 2:30 pm PDT Wednesday May 20, 2020, call 833-614-0820, passcode 3287645, audio webcast link https://engage.vevent.com/index.jsp?eid=5779&seid=2117#/main/simplify. The bare registration portal, and the email verifying your registration, appear to be named “Lessons COVID Dialysis.”
- They also offer Tuesday May 19 and Thursday May 21, 2020 “Office Hours” for general Medicare questions, and Lessons from the Front Lines on Friday May 22, 2020. For details, including recordings of past events, see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2020/04/20/4-21-cms-shareholder-engagement-calls/.
- Coalition for Compassionate Care of California hour-long COVID Conversations on CCCC Decision Aids, Ventilators, CPR, Transfers, And Comfort Care – noon PDT Thursday May 21, 2020. For weekly details and registration, recordings of past events, and additional resources, see https://nwrnbulletins.wordpress.com/2020/04/12/4-15-cccc-covid-conversations-webinars/.